Monday, August 5, 2024

Staten Island Excursion Explorations

 Staten Island Excursion Explorations

    The forgotten borough; a place apart and ignored.

    I went there! We went there and saw a nice beach area with people fishing.

    It was not too warm. We smelled the salt water and fish. A storm was brewing from the west.

    I saw immigrants, men speaking in a tongue I could not identify. Albanian? Armenian? Greek? I did speak to an Egyptian man, who came to America (okay, Anna, the U.S.), in 1976. People of all types casting for flounder and other sea life.

    I first barely touched Staten Island as a teenager in 1987, when we took the ferry across the bay from Manhattan. I think we hit the side of the dock really hard. That was main memory and impression way back then. Did I see its hills and trees, and a few homes? Likely. But that was only there and back, and really did not go again till 2020.

    The iPhone Google Map found us a random spot in the middle of the night. We saw streets, homes, apartments, houses. More trees. Cars and trash cans. Perhaps historic Richmondtown, like yesterday, I do not. Know.

    It was nice. By day it gave me a Los Angeles sort of vibe, a lot of the streets. Homes. Parking.

    Weather. Rain, but warm.

    Thanks for the inspiration, Mr. McCourt. Was it Frank, the teacher of Staten Island?

    Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment