Saturday, August 24, 2024

Shogun Ends - And Begins Again

Shogun Ends - And Begins Again

    Sometimes when you are close to your mid-fifties you read or watch something, you feel or remember something, you think or review something that brings you back to you. You as a youth, you as a hoped-for product, a result or aspiration that were parts of you going back decades. Memories and hopes from yesteryear reprise, refit, re-configure, redo, or review and re-make what was and is. Or what could have been, or would have been, or even what still may be.

    Clear? Allus clear? Or maybe "clar". As the Germans say...

    Japanese and Germans, oy ve. 

    This story became an NBC-made TV miniseries based on the James Clavell classic: a long novel, very well composed, which I would see in tables and shelves in the 1970s and 1980s. Then came the Richard Chamberlain series, which fascinated and enraptured me. Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the final Friday night episode because my parent went out of town and I stayed with another family. They did not watch it, they had no idea. I saw a brief glance of it that Friday night, but the zeitgeist and moment were gone for me. For decades. Later, perhaps in my forties, I got ahold of the copy of it. I started it, but like many books, years would go by before I tackled it again. 

    2018 I finished it. Reading.

    Then Hulu came out with another streaming series of this year.

    I finished episode 10 this morning.

    And the thoughts return and percolate.

    TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments:

Post a Comment