Monday, August 19, 2024

Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine Part II Ish

 Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine Part II Ish

    KENTUCKY, continued...

    Yes, spent youthful days there,

    Mostly around the Mammoth Caves

    I called it the Black Hole when I was in third grade...

    Later I took my wife to Louisville

    And later met my sisters in Lexington, or thereabouts,

    At a hotel, like a midway point 

    My two older sisters 

    Their former husbands,

    Their small children, and ours

    And other Kentucky times

    With friends

    My wife and kids

    Yeah, I also drove very fast through the Appalachian parts not too long ago...

    Pretty fast

Louisiana

    Spent some time there,

    Mostly in uniform

    Almost a month

    It was long

    And hot

    But we wore it well

    Went there with my family when I was in fifth grade

    Coming back from the Texas beaches

    The French Quarter

    Bourbon Street

    Chicken and smutty joints

    Later with my family

    Parked close by in an RV

    Times to remember

    Eating crawfish and alligator

    Years later feral black swine

    Rooting by my tent by night

    Not bad,

    Louisiana, you were okay for me

    And at times sweet and fun

    Maine

It's a great and beautiful state

Some really good folks

I went there when I was small

 Made it back again with my own family

  Again from the Maritime provinces

Took my boys there

 Summer of Covid lockdown

We had some good times

And had a tough hike up a good sized mountain

Not the biggest

But big enough

Yes, Maine is big enough

Beautiful and serene 

Enough

Thankful for it, way up there

 

No comments:

Post a Comment