Sunday, August 25, 2024

Patrick Corbin: Not the Pitcher of this Decade

 Patrick Corbin: Not the Pitcher of this Decade

    First of all, I empathize. I identify and sympathize with this highly paid athlete who has been a sort of goat of the Washington team the last five seasons since the miraculous 2019 World Series when he first came to D.C. , and perhaps among the greater major leagues. Meaning, I myself have shown some promise in some parts of my life, to myself and to others. And I have wound up woefully lacking or insufficient in living up to those distant hopeful, and now wistful, expectations. So, in essence, Mr. Corbin, I feel like I could be you, or you me. Therefore, in me writing, analyzing, and explicating your tantalizing abilities and career, perhaps I am only finding a vehicle to understand life, myself, and others.

    No, it is not all about me. But, it does include how I comprehend things, and how I can relate to others. Thus, I think and write. On a Sunday morning, more than most.

    Now late Sunday afternoon, almost evening. Significant things happened today, a day of blessings. And friendships and covenants.

    Back to my man, Patrick Corbin. He is the current major league leader (i.e. loser) in losses*. He has 130. Since 2020 he definitely has the most. I could and should do the math. The Nats have more or less offloaded and imploded, and so has he. In 2019 when they acquired him he was an elite pitcher, but since 2020 he has lost 69 games up till now, and has led the leagues[s] in losses every year since 2021. He was 2-7 in the lock-down shortened season, which was not good at all. But it got worse. Lots of bad seasons, with higher and higher ERAs. (Earned run averages).
_________________________________________________
    So, like a book that I have mostly written but I am not pushing forward to final edits or publishing; I want to, but I cannot push myself to do it, yet; this is about me and life, the world as I know it and the universe.
________________________________________________________________

    Who else is pitching now with more than 100 losses? By the way, Corbin just got his 100th win. It was about time. I was/am relieved. The Nationals did not always do very well of supporting him when he had quality starts, which is usually allowing 3 or less runs. I believe that this season, anyway, he has had numerous QSs. Tough luck. But, he is getting paid royally for his original signing. Racking up the losses.

    And, we hope that that he can get a few more wins to finish the year. He is 100-130 career. Career 4.50 ERA, but normally above 5.00 the last few years.


    The Braves' Charlie Morton has 120 career losses. But he is 137-120 since 2008. Corbin has been playing since 2012 in Arizona. Next is Jonny Cueto, at 148-112, also pitching since 2008. Max Scherzer is 216-112, a sure-fire Hall of Famer, playing since 2008, too. 

    Jordan Lyles, Kyle Gibson, and Carlos Carrasco are the only other current pitchers with more than 100 losses. Clayton Kershaw is not there yet. 

    So, for now, Corbin is the man and will not be matched for a while.

    Rooting for you, Patrick. Best of luck.

*Correction. Justin Verlander currently leads (or is worst) in the majors with 144 losses. 


Justin Verlander (19, 41)1443387.1R

But, he is a sure thing for the Hall of Fame, because he happens too have: 260 wins after 19 years. And, he is married to a supermodel. Not bad, Justin.

No comments:

Post a Comment