Saturday, August 13, 2022

Stranger Things - Blaspheme Not. Please

Stranger Things - Blaspheme Not

    The big Netflix sensation has captured its part of the planet, certain heads and minds, our eyes and pocketbooks. Pocketbook. Money. Time, resources, cash.

    Interest and attention.

    I have enjoyed seeing the acting, the story played out, catching the retro-nostalgia of the 1980s, the decade of my formative years and growing up. Class of 1989. I mention things to my son about the 1980s that the show introduces.

    My older son is the one watching the show regularly; I see some of the shows; he catches me up with the plot and character development.

    It's another way to bond with my son, and I realize that the zeitgeist of the show is fun to participate in. Being a streamed show on the Netflix, it uses curse words that are along the lines of PG-13. I can handle that, I prefer that the language were not crude.

    However, I have a more serious qualm with taking the Lord's name in vain, beyond the crude words that are uttered. As far as I know, the program does not discuss religion or any type of faith in any particular creed, yet many of the characters repeatedly, and in my opinion egregiously, utter the name of the Christian deity a lot. I know many people do this, some who may or may not have faith in Jesus as who he is. Or, for some of us, who He is. The King of Kings.

    Anyway, I wish that the writers would choose to omit that blasphemy, even if they do not consider it as such. In a day of age of political correctness, and not being offensive against any race or identity, this is one that counts as not abusing.

    We do not throw out epithets about races.

    We do not throw out epithets about sexual preferences.

    We do not throw out epithets about religious beliefs.

    Or do we?

    Stranger Things? Netflix?

    Please. Do the right thing. Stop the overblown usage of this name and curse. It is a blessing for most of us who do worship Christ. But it is pilloried and abused in these cases.

    Duffer brothers: please refrain from the insults to a person and name that means the most for millions of people all over the world. And me. Don't use his name as a common and disrespectful cuss word.



No comments:

Post a Comment