Sunday, January 1, 2023

Joseph Ratzinger - A Pope to Reclaim the Secular Doubters

Joseph Ratzinger - A Pope to Reclaim the Secular Doubters

    Whether you are Roman Catholic or not, the Apostolic Church based in Rome has a large influence on the world that we live in. The Supreme Pontiff, the Pope, or Holy See, is a big deal. Even this deep into the 21st century, with many people falling away from church activity or belief, the Roman Catholic faith is still the biggest Christian organization in the world. It has influence, money, power, and members. Therefore, Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was a major person in their history, Christianity, and the world that continues to evolve.
    Pope Benedict the 16th recused himself for health reasons many years ago (2013), now almost nine. He cited his declining health as the reason; removing himself from office is unusual. So is being the head leader and being German; there were only four before Ratzinger and they all were by the 11th century. That is about 1,000 years ago.

    In 2005 when he took over for Pope John Paul the Second, Carol Woytila of Poland, Ratzinger became the second non-Italian Pope in over 500 years. The Catholic Church seemed to want a man of letters and intellectual prowess. Ratzinger appealed to the erudite and those with reasons to not believe in religion, or Christ, or His claimed Church headquartered in Rome. Some controversies came under his eight or so years of appointment, like his claims that seemingly disrespected Islam, or his dealings with sexual abuse within the ranks of the priests of the Church.

    I was teaching an adult English as a Second Language class when Ratzinger took the seat in 2005. In that class I was teaching two elderly (or was it three?) nuns originally from Mexico. I myself was active as a Branch President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in San Bernardino, California.
    While the Roman Catholic Church and the one I am part of both claim the rightful priesthood and the proper authority of Jesus Christ and His holiest sacraments on earth, I and many of us in my church highly respect these men and women of the cloth of the biggest in the world. They have dedicated their lives to Jesus and service, which is very admirable. 
    The main class that I taught for adults was borrowing space from a former Catholic private school, adjoining a small cathedral in a part of the city that was urban and a little run down. In one of the empty rooms I saw a poster where the students learned catechism, and it had a historical timeline of all the Popes back to Peter, and Jesus. I have some issues or quandaries with the Roman Catholics claiming Popes before Constantine of Rome in the 4th century, but they see the succession of the priesthood as unbroken for almost two thousand years.
    Differences in belief and religion will always be, or at least till a long-awaited Messiah should return. Jewish, Muslim, and Christian brothers and sisters should then finally see things together. The descendants and legacies of Abraham should eventually come together. Unless it is all wrong.
    Which could be. 
    To have faith or not? I choose the former.
    I choose Christ, as do Catholics and almost two billion others living today. We can be ecumenical in these things. Christ lived and died for us, and we worship and follow him today.
    As Joseph Ratzinger would urge us to do. God bless him for his contributions.

One last note on Catholic beliefs and peoples.
    I became friends with a man this last year who is writing a book/dissertation on the history and precedence of great Catholic and Christian examples, martyrs, people of faith who dedicated themselves to Jesus and His ways. I liked him; he helped me stay curious, motivated, and have faith, and he considered me a good conversation. I much appreciated his sharing his time and messages with me. Also, a buddy that I attended my own services a lot with, he and I attended some Catholic classes a few evenings, where we mixed with other believers. They were good and kind to us; I feel we came together in Christ in a good way. I attended a few Catholic services overseas, plus some inter-faith meetings; I attended with them and other friends, including in Texas besides the Middle-East. I received good messages on Father's Day and other special times with Catholics. I appreciate this august organization, one of the grand-daddies in the present world.
    God bless us through the Catholic leaders and their faith. God bless the legacy of our recently passed German Pope and all that revered him. As we celebrate Christ together.

1 comment: