Monday, January 9, 2023

Home School College Football Fans 13 - Recapping the Regular Season 2022 Pt. 2

 

Home School College Football Fans 13 - Recapping the Regular Season 2022 Pt. 2


    As we have said before, Texas A&M was a stinker this year. I think that I already wrote them up. Final record 5-7, ranked 67th by CBSSports.com. They lost to teams that they should not have, and they disappointed me greatly. No bowl, a lot of confused customers by a team that had recruited number one in the country by a big-name coach Jimbo Fisher. But the true freshmen did not translate to wins.

    I guess that they should improve a lot in 2023.

    I was trying to think of all the seven teams that I covered... Oh, yeah! The other stinker: Indiana! My alma mater. Yeah. Hard to believe that I could forget them. But first.. 

    James Madison Breaks into FBS Pretty Well

    The Dukes started hot and finish 8-3, ranked 34th. Not bad at all. First year in the Football Bowl Series, joining 130 other teams. I was hoping that BYU could do better and move up on overall percentage wins on JMU, but BYU stank it up as I have reported. Especially to Liberty. And I SAW it with my own eyes! Choked against East Carolina because of not moving the ball on fourth and short...

    But this is about the Dukes. Congrats to where my daughter was attending, before she moved on.

    They were not eligible to play a bowl. Their first lost was in a shoot-out to Georgia State, then they lost to Marshall (who upset Notre Dame), and Louisville. 8-3 was really good. They crushed Coastal Carolina in their final game. BYU was humbled by them in the great pandemic run of 2020. Props to the Dukes.
    Last and not least, except for the woebegone and stung Cavaliers, we have the seventh and last mentioned team...

    Indiana Hoosier Football: Improve, but Not Enough

    First three games IU got scrappy and pulled out wins. Comeback triumph against a good, bowl-worthy Illinois. A win against a lesser-than Idaho FCS team, but IU needed to rally greatly in the second half, at home in Bloomington. A close win against a decent Western Kentucky, that had a dynamic offense that had their coach hired up and out to a bigger budgeted institution. The two games that now usually determine a good or bad year for IU were close enough, but did not go IU's way: Rutgers and Maryland. Stupid late turnovers and just a little more oomph, and IU, with its miraculous victory over Michigan State, and IU goes 6-6. 

    Not enough against a beatable Nebraska, and blow outs to world beaters and eventual semi-final losers Michigan and Ohio State, and Rose Bowl champs Penn State.

    And we lose awfully to Purdue, who won the Big-10 West, but then lost haplessly to Michigan, and finally were crushed by LSU in the bowl game. IU: 4-8, ranked 90th.

    Indiana doubles their previous season, 2021, by winning four instead of a paltry two, but again, this was not enough for Tom Allen. I am gunning for Nebraska in to the future, as their coach believes that Allen is a clown. Then again, he was fired... No, he is the guy who replaced Scott Frost. Let's get him.

    And, that is more or less the end of my Home School College Football Fans. After the 2021 season in the desert, I was not as motivated to do it this past season, especially with BYU losing stupidly, but: glad that I did.

    Tonight: Dawgs versus Frogs. I kind've want TCU, but I expect Georgia to repeat from their cool win over Alabama last year. Again, last year I covered Notre Dame, Georgia, Clemson, Miami, and Auburn. Guys I knew liked them. Oh, and my two: BYU and IU. It was fun. Maybe I can cull a bigger following in 2023, if I try this again?
__________________

    Oh, yeah. The service academies! Navy lost a close one to Army, firing Coach Ken Niumatalolo. He had one more year on his contract remaining. He did a great overall job there. I like him a lot. First Samoan head coach at a D-1 school. 4-8, 101st by CBS. I saw him speak in Kensington, MD. Super good human and coach.

Army?  6-6, 106th (worse than Navy?). I think the final poll has to be re-adjusted. BYU, for example, should jump ahead of SMU, whom they beat in the bowl.

Air Force? 10-3, ranked 49th. They should rise, really good year. They beat Baylor 30-15 in the final bowl game. Baylor, which was a great early win for BYU, ended up going 6-7. Not great.

    2023: BYU and Baylor should be together in the Big-12 next year...

    Maybe I should root for TCU tonight... Go Frogs! Go TCU! 

    Oh, yeah, my religious school tally at the end of season... I will wait till Texas Christian plays later.

No comments:

Post a Comment