Saturday, January 28, 2023

Billy Packer - A Voice of College Basketball - 1940-2023

Billy Packer - A Voice of College Basketball

    I got used to hearing him call games and discuss the analysis of the event that gets hearts racing in my hometown. We had some great teams, that helps. It was a constant, his voice and personality, as I would leave the country, move to the Inter-Mountain West. He was a consistent speaker to the sport; later I made it to California, the same thing there. Consistency.  I moved to Arizona for a season, and by then he was done with his telecasts. But did he do any regular season games? It feels like he must have done that the last 14 or so years. 

    Apparently, Billy was quite the player himself. He led, or helped lead, the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (great names, like the Blue Devils, so inspirational for Bible believers) to the Final Four back in 1962, when Robert Montgomery Knight was helping the Ohio State Buckeyes win in their days. Knight went on to be a legendary coach, first at Army, then Indiana, and finally Texas Tech. Packer was there to cover it all. 

    I think I will miss Mr. Packer, his presence and spirit. He was not the biggest voice of basketball, per se, but he was a luminary. I am surprised he stopped calling the finals way back in 2008. Perhaps he planned that with Knight. Coach Knight. (The last thing in Bloomington that got Bobby fired.)

    Anyway, we are grateful for a life well lived, a craft and talent that he could ply well. He was born the same year as my mother. We miss the class of 1940, those who came and went since then.

    Fare thee well, Mr. Packer. You did us all very well.


Blog it.

No comments:

Post a Comment