Patrick Corbin: One of the Biggest Losers of All Time, but a Champion and a Hero
The Nationals, a franchise that I have rooted for since 1981, acquired this guy in 2019. That Nats had been good for a good stretch. He helped push them over the top. The regular season pitching was bolstered by him, they qualified for the Wild Card, he contributed to the team going on and on and winning the whole enchilada, the Fall Classic, the 2019 World Series.
Yes! Corbin et al were champions! Scherzer and Strasburg were the workhorses, but Corbin was a big reason why it all happened. Clutch hitting by many Nats was key, of course, too. It is a team sport.
Of course, we then lost Rendon, and I think Scherzer, and then Strasburg to injury, and Trea Turner, and Soto... Patrick stuck around and racked up lots of losses. Check for sure, but I believe he had the most major league losses three years in a row. Ouch. He was making millions, but his overall record was going the wrong way.
Now, a couple teams later, he is more competitive and is only slightly below .500. I believe he is only 34, with some years to go.
113 wins, 146 losses for the career. Only 180 or so major leaguers have accrued more losses, decisions as the losing thrower on record.
But I like the guy, and I will always be thankful for him.
He likely made far more money before 30 years-old than I will make in my life. He is doing all right.
Long live Corbin. Now get some wins.
Blog on.
No comments:
Post a Comment