Sunday, August 23, 2026

A Month in South Carolina - Have I Done It?

 A Month in South Carolina  - Have I Done It?

    I was counting up U.S. states that I have not lived in but that I have spent a month or more in. I put South Carolina in there. But, upon further review, I may be short of 30 full days, let alone nights.

    The first time was 5-6 days in 1998. Traveled with my friends from college. We stayed about two nights on Edisto Island, then the last three on a military base near the city of Charleston. Not quite a week, but a solid start. My first time there.

    Although, it was possible that I spent part of a day there back around 1982 when I visited a retirement community with my dad. Old friends of his, or perhaps some distant family, like a great aunt?

    Next came vacations that we as a family would spend between between 2009 and perhaps 2023? In those years we would go down the East Coast, alighting on some touristy beaches, stating at hotel or two. That was mixed with North Carolina, and a little Georgia, going into Florida. We took trips down to Florida, and inevitably would pass through South Carolina. The last time we went to Stone Mountain in Georgia, then came north into South Carolina and had dinner at a restaurant with my niece who works down there.

    I spent about 8, maybe 10 days at a military base there in 2018. I was supposed to be there three weeks, which would have gotten me the month, easy, but things did not work out.

    So, I think I am at 15 days without the vacactions with my wife and kids. Did I do another 15 days in the state? Maybe not. I spent some nights in a few hotels, including a memorable time for a cruise out of Charleston, and a stay in Myrtle Beach, but it does not add up to abother two weeks...

    So maybe South Carolian is only 3 weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment