Sunday, December 4, 2022

Possessions and Symbols, Recreations of Realities

Possessions and Symbols, Recreations of Realities

    Last post I alluded to a childhood toy that I have held on to more than forty years, which is significant in some ways. It makes me think. The smaller piece of plastic is an Imperial Star Fighter. It reminds me of my youth, and my hopes, and my fears. It is growing older, and maybe it is worth some money? Worth passing down to my children and theirs?

    Darth Vader is conflicted, and his mask breaks, and he struggles to breath. He dies, but is redeemed. 

    Rinse and repeat. The pattern continues. Always.

    To the side of the Darth Tie Fighter is a Twin Cloud Car, a vehicle that protected the Cloud City of Lando Calrissian. The pilots made by the toy company in the 1980s, are Asian and Black. A diverse universe is what we are. 

    I got a toy stuffed animal when 9 or 10, which is a weird bear, of sorts, but to me is a Yuzzem.

    Most people do not know of recognize or the Yuzzem, because they did not read and ingest Splinter of the Mind's Eye, where Luke and Leia face their deepest fear, which ends up being their father, and they are siblings, all unbeknownst to us, the captive and bedazzled spectators of the worlds of George Lucas, and the puppet masters and other artists, like Frank Oz and Lawrence Kasdan.

    Alan Dean Foster has my credit and respect, too. He wrote that book, that pushed more influences of the saga and movies.

    And the Yuzzem. Beasts, like Chewbacca the Wookie, that are scary but good.

    And the Cloud Car and the Yuzzem flank the Imperial vehicle.

    Good and bad on the same shelf, like all the books of the library.

    Growing and thriving together. The wheat, tares, and chaff.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment