Saturday, December 10, 2022

Notes on Negative Army Stories - Cogs in the Wheels of Power

     My daughter wants to interview me as to some apparent negative stories from the Army, as to how we are treated like tools or cogs, without much humanity. Hmmmm.  A few things come to mind.

    My stories of drudgery and inhuman or less than optimal military conditions, orders, and missions are not as bad as some. I have not been ordered to unlawfully kill or torture, which is about as bad as it gets. We know that this has happened throughout the glorious, heroic, sad, tragic, and awful history of the United States Army. The rest of it is just work. Work can be hard, and fraught with accidents. No matter what profession we are in bad things can happen, and we can definitely have bad leaders and bosses. Poor strategies, tactics, plans, ideas. I have not been put in the worst of it, I acknowledge that freely. But yes, the Army has put me in a few positions of discomfort and distress. and at times made me feel like I was not valued much. But that is part of the process, I think. Hard to ask for more much of the time when doing hard and many times necessary hard chores and tasks, assignments. I remember being stuck in our armory at the tail end of an Annual Training because of some dumb reasons. Our exercise that took place two four hours away was completed, but someone in the greater unit (not our person), left a truck at the site and all of us had to stand by as soldiers, not doing much but talking amongst ourselves, waiting for that one vehicle to be recovered.

    It was a Friday, and ...

TO BE CONTINUED.



No comments:

Post a Comment