Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Top 100 Home Run Hitters I Have Seen Play in Person

Top 100 Home Run Hitters I Have Seen Play in Person 

    I am pretty sure that I have seen (1) Barry Bonds, Junior play. I did not see him homer, but I saw the San Francisco Giants play the Dodgers at Chaves Ravine at least once. Maybe he was hurt that night, but I think I saw him. Barry may have cheated with Performance Enhancing Drugs, especially in his later years, but he was amazing.

    In 2007 when he surpassed the Great Babe Ruth in the all-time count, I was listening on my radio about 60 miles to the south. That was cool and memorable for me.

    I do not think that I saw Alex Rodriguez play in person. I saw the Yankees play live in 1997 and 1999, back when ARod was with the Mariners. Oh, and for the record, the Babe passed long before I was born. Henry Aaron retired in 1976 with the Brewers, a year before I saw my first major league game of the Pirates visiting the Reds in Cincinnati, Ohio. That game had at least one top hundred home run hitter. More on him later.

    I think that the next top long ball hitter that I saw in person was one of my all-time favorites, (2) The Big Hurt Frank Thomas. I saw the White Sox play in 1998, and again in Anaheim in 2000, or 2001. I believe the Sox had another top 100 guy or two, then. They should show up in this list.

   (3) Fred McGriff? Yes. I recall that memorably. That Sox game against the Angels. 2001. I think out first daughter was newly born, and the noise was a little much for her.

    (4) Adrian Beltre? Yes. Saw him in L.A. as a Dodger, likely 2000 or 2001 against the Expos. Perhaps again in 2002, or even 2003. I have seen the Dodgers in their home stadium more than anyone else. Even though I have still seen the Expos the most, even though they went defunct as such in 2004.

    (5?) I may have seen Willie Stargell as a Buc back in 1977, in Cincy, but he was out a lot that year, he only played 63 games. So perhaps not. I paid more attention to the Reds then, anyway.

    (6?) Did I see the Donkey Adam Dunn play in D.C? Maybe. It might have been an anniversary occasion with my wife. 2011? Not 2012, possibly 2010. If I saw him, it was in 2010 when the Nationals hosted the Royals. The next year he was signed with the White Sox.

    (7) Nelson Cruz. Had to go back and add him. I saw him play this season earlier in the summer at Camden Yards. Beautiful venue. It was rained out but saw an Oriole hit for the cycle in only 6 innings before the rain out, game called complete. Austin Hays. Would he ever make this list? Love me some Nelson. The man is 42 or so. Gettin' it done. Inspirational.

    (8?) It is possible that I saw Jose Canseco with the Sox in 2001, his last year in the majors. His only season with Chicago.

    (9) Vlad Guerrero. Yes, the visiting Expos of Montreal in the summer of 2000, in L.A. Pretty sure.

    (10) Paul Konerko and (11) Andre the Hawk Dawson? Yes, the former in the minors in Indianapolis, and later in the bigs in Chicago, and my man Andre in Chicago at the Friendly Confines in 1987, his best career year. I think I also saw Andre play a little against the Indy Indians as an exhibition in 1986. Good times with my dad and Jason Vincz.

    (12) Andres Galarraga? Yes, memorably in St. Louis in 1985. Likely again in 1986, '87, '88, and '89. The Big Cat.

    (13) Johnny Bench? Likely in Cincinnati in 1977. Part of the Big Red Machine. My first game ever, the game was delayed super later because of rain.

    (14) Jeff Kent. Yes, I think I saw him with the Giants visiting L.A. in 2002. Maybe he hit a homer? I should have taken notes... Great series between Frisco and Anaheim that fall.

    (15) Carlos Lee? El Caballo? It is possible I saw him with the White Sox in Anaheim in 2000. Man, the Pale Hose had some power hitters! Part time with McGriff and Canseco, but still...

    (16) Chili Davis? Possibly with the Yankees in '98 at Yankee Stadium against the Angels, or against the Sox at Comiskey Park in '99. Wow. A little research and conjecture does some wonders.

    (17). George Foster. Yes sir ree BOB. My first game ever, I think 1977, we were close to him in the outfield with the Reds, and there were some punk kids heckling him much of the game. He was an early hero, for sure. He hit 50 or so in 1979, which was admirable back then. No one the entire 1980s hit 50 or more home runs. Dawson was close in '87 with 49 dingers.

    (18?) Curtis Granderson with the Dodgers in 2017? At Nats' Park? It is possible we saw him play us that year, when my boy wanted to see a live game, and we got skunked 7-0. We saw some church friends on the metro-ride home. The mother is now our daughter's piano teacher. Yeah, baseball and memories is a funny thing.

    This was fun.

    I expect a couple more to make the majors that I have seen play, notably Bryce Harper. Did I see Juan the Truth Soto play live? Hmm... Maybe another Dodger or Royal that I observed in person. Or Oriole. Or even a Nat. Well, Josh Bell, now with the Padres... Time will tell.

    Also, I have seen quite a few minor league games (about 12) where some of those people in the minors did rise up and do it (less likely, such as Paul Konerko), and some who may still have a chance into the next two decades. We will know by 2040. Maybe. 


    



    

No comments:

Post a Comment