Sunday, September 11, 2022

Rice Is Nice - A Time for Appreciation

Rice Is Nice - A Time for Appreciation

    There are times in life when some of us go without food and calories, some of it by choice or by circumstance. I have done some of it. I suppose for both reasons, by force, obligation, a few times sickness. For professional or career goal reasons, almost like boxers or wrestlers do, "cutting weight". Luckily, I do not have to get in a ring or a mat at such times, but cutting weight has become a thing for me, multiple times.
    For me recently it culminated this Sunday afternoon as many of us were finishing up their lunches. I looked on enviously or longingly, knowing that I had to avoid these tasty morsels and delectable items going to and fro where I walked and passed. I needed to step up on a scale and hit my magic number, or suffer the consequences of delay, punishment, negative things that I have not faced before. I have been doing this more or less for 15 years. It has become a part of me. And more or less interestingly, each time at the finish line it can be different.
    It was different today, for different reasons. Leading up I was weak, had some headaches, had to take alternative measures that my wife assisted in to cut the weight. I was working, trying to manage the calories day after day, hour by hour. Food choice by food choice. I did it for three weeks total, but it took on momentum as the last days approached.
    My first real calories after a good deal of sweating and working and avoiding water was: some rice of some Latino make. Perhaps from chipotle, or a Salvadoran restaurant. It had some peppers that were hot, made me hiccup a little, but was delicious. Wow. I celebrated this small but potent treasure in a small leftover aluminum foil wrapper. I laid it in top of a vehicle in a warm, humid day, surrounded by some nature and birds, and other trucks and such. This was great. It wasn't much. Someone else had most of it, but I know I had the most delicious part. Yum. Calories to a deprived body. Nourishment. I made weight. Savor the moment.
    Next came a small Styrofoam container, unopened, of just white sticky rice. No utensils, I picked it up Indian style, as past roommates had taught me, and ate maybe a satisfying two thirds of it. I found the sauce upon re-entry to the building and found the unopened sauce container. I thought that the combination would have been better, but I simply dipped one finger in and enjoyed the rich flavor. Rice.
    Rice. To a person who is hungry or starved (I have never been starved), what an amazing thing.
    Tonight I made it home after a long day, and found more cooked rice and spices on a pan on the open stove. I mixed a sauce with it, and it was the third time I enjoyed rice today.
    I appreciate it. I am very glad that people produce it and cook it.
    The first bites after the long lunch of fasting was when I wanted to celebrate and cheer for all Latin American rice makers and their efforts everywhere.

    Yes, rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment