Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Family Relations 506

 Family Relations 506

    In college we have undergraduate classes that are normally labeled 100 through 400. If we go on to Master's Degrees or Doctorates, then the classes are listed in the 500s and up. I am at those stages in my life, it seems. Advanced studies in family relations. For the record, I did some remedial math in two colleges that were in the 90s. 

    My mom has left the known world for now. Gone 9 years this spring. Memories and photos remain. Stories and feelings. She left other material remains and heirlooms, but probably more spiritual and emotional legacies and memories.
    
    My dad is of advanced age (mid 80s is advanced, yes?), and is getting married tomorrow. The bride is about 17 years younger. The mother-in-law is only a couple years older than my father. They all seem to be happy, which is good.

    My oldest sister is not happy. She has her reasons. I can understand. She lives pretty close to the aforementioned, which complicates matters. 

    My next older sister is happy with it, it seems, and lives much further away. More than twice as far as me. I live a day's drive away.

    None of us are talking that much.

    Back when I was taking my 100 and 200 and 300 level classes as an undergrad in the university, or universities, it was harder to talk long distance. Those calls cost a lot. We sent more postage back then.

    We were apart, but we mostly tried to communicate.

    Now we have the means in the world, but we are separated by lines of animus, or apathy, or faults that have developed over time and space.

    Yep, we are in some kind of post-graduate funk.

    I still talk to my step-father, and my step-mother has been gone 14 months now.

    Step-siblings? And step-nieces and nephews? They are very distant now. Things have changed.



No comments:

Post a Comment