Saturday, July 30, 2022

Los Angeles, The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of the River Porciúncula

Los Angeles, The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of the River Porciúncula

    Poor. See. Oon. Coo. Lah. 
    With emphasis on the Oon. Like Kim Jung Un.

    Right: that part of the longer name of LA did not carry through the centuries very much. Porciuncula. Con enfasis sobre la "u".

    Many refer to it as the City of Angels.

    Very famous, not just because of the movie and T.V. industry that has been based there since the 1910s. Instead of Florida, or anywhere else. It has fame for other things, but it is the conflagration of weather, terrain, geographic convenience and importance. The stories, actors, and writers have impacted us for sure.

    Los Angeles has ruled our screen times, certainly. Palm trees, hills, and beaches. Mountains on the peripheries. Famous roads like Santa Monica Boulevard and Mulholland Drive. Freeways, the Five, the Ten, the One-O-One. (5, 10, 101).

    This city stretches and goes on and on, and it touches most of us in many distinctive ways.

    I lived there for a couple years, and I also lived outside it for another four.

    I first visited it with some college friends, going to Disney Land at age 22 in 1993. I made it back for many years, with some visits in 1995 and 1996. I got in touch with a former girlfriend, got very lost, and visited again and stayed in nearby Glendora.

    I moved to the state a few years later and then matriculated at UCLA. We lived in West L.A. as a small family. We lasted two years. Despite the subsidized student housing, it was costly. And beautiful. Moderate temperatures year-round so close to the ocean.
    
    LA County may have 12 million inhabitants. The city sprawls across the county, which is pretty large. Larger than most counties in the eastern U.S. It borders other counties, like Ventura, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino. All together it has many millions and connections and feeds to other neighboring cities, regions, parks, and on and on.

    I feel sometimes that LA never stops. I was married at my church temple there, and my marriage is supposed to be forever. I feel like it will be.

    As the city, it never ends. 

    I watch movies and series that take place there, that shoot different parts of it.

    It is like home, and I feel like it is a part of all of us, and me. My parents met there in 1964. The UCLA campus. My dentist went to school there, she reminisces about it.

    The singer sings, "I love L.A". Randy Newman. You've got a friend in me.

    Cheech Marin sings "Born in East L.A."

    I am not sure how many angels have resided there, but there are enough burger joints to cover them all.



    

1 comment: