Sunday, July 24, 2022

College Football at All Levels - Big and Small Hazards of Life

College Football at All Levels - Big and Small Hazards of Life

    I grew up a few miles from a major college football stadium that holds about 52,000 spectators. It rarely fills up to those levels, because the culture of southern Indiana and the nature of the success and culture of the Indiana Hoosiers football program has rarely been high enough to fill the stands. The stadium was upgraded in the last ten years, which now surrounds the entire field, or at least connects the south end where I used to toss a football on the sloped lawn above the uprights.

    Across most states of the union there are 131 major football teams, or highest tier of FBS (Football Bowl Schedule) teams. More than ever before. Welcome to the big leagues, James Madison Dukes. Happy swimming in the deeper, more powerful waters of where the largest university teams compete. It is a dog fight.

    They left Ohio State out of the top five programs of all time, while including Michigan. A recent survey. Good luck with that. There are about 50 schools that consider themselves among the best of all time. Another fifty are trying to break in.

    Indiana, my hometown school and alma mater, is not among them. But the Hoosiers at times beat the top fifty teams. However, my other alma mater is a top 50 program: Brigham Young University. They became a national player by the 1980s, and recently they have resurged as a formidable top team. My three purchased magazines of the summer of '22 have the Cougars projected at 10,19, and 27. We shall see. I just purchased tickets for my October birthday this fall, too, against a Virginia team. To play out three hours from my house outside of D.C.. Two religious schools.  Should be good.

    There are the FCS teams, of which there are: 125. Many of them are big in states where there are no FBS teams, like the Dakotas, Montana. Not sure about Alaska. D.C does not have a big team either, the nearest being Maryland in nearby College Park.

     There are the Division II schools: 169. Whew. That is a lot.

     There are the Division III programs: 250. Whoa! I did not know. They seem as prolific as many high schools. I bet that some high-powered high school teams could beat those Division II and III teams. 

    I have played basketball this year with a young man who will be playing for a D-III team this fall in Virginia. He is athletic, I am sure he has good hands for the position. He is good on the basketball court. You have to maintain good physicality, and stay away from injuries. It takes discipline to keep a balance between studies, social life, and a team sport.

    Most who play are men. Occasionally a female shows some promise of becoming a part of the team.

    My uncle and his son, and his second son, played in New England at Boudoin College. Division III? Likely. They had rivals like Colby and Babson, other small liberal arts colleges. My Uncle Bill was an Olympic caliber track guy. He almost went back in 1960 or so. Very close. Just missed Played small college ball, I heard some of the stories. His son, one of my oldest cousins, played there, too.

    Both made it through healthy. Not all do.

    Occasionally some die or are crippled, paralyzed. Risk factors to consider.

    Most make it through unscathed and become better for it. College classes, professional degrees. Some go to the pros and make millions. 

    I enjoy it.

    Last season I was far away, but communed with some folks, and it played out fun and historical. Georgia finally beat 'Bama.

    I wrote about certain teams, mine and some friends. It was pretty cool for me. 
Not sure how much I will write this fall. We shall see.

    Buckle up, fans. Alabama is the team to beat again. Michigan will try to beat the Buckeyes again. BYU has Notre Dame in Las Vegas.

    Bring it.



No comments:

Post a Comment