Sunday, July 10, 2022

Big Money, We All Need It - College Football

Big Money, We All Need It - College Football

    I meant to write about USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten over a week ago when the bombshell announcement was first issued. Summer 2022, a large shift in conferences, and money.

    A sea change shift, really. Although, perhaps Brigham Young, one of my alma maters, may have been part of the shift, since it was the farthest western team to newly join the expanding Big XII, which while mostly Texas and central plain based, was expanding east and then dipping into Utah. BYU-Provo would now be conference members connected to West Virginia, Ohio, and Florida, in the Morgantown Mountaineers, three hours from D.C., the Cincinnati Bearcats, and the UCF Knights. Or is it the USF Bulls? Orlando or Tampa Bay? Either way, central Florida, very East Coast. Three time zones, for sure. A bigger geographic footprint than almost any sports conference. Until this latest change.

So now in the summer of 2022 the Big Ten (actually 14 teams) skipped the whole Mountain West Time Zone, dipping into the lucrative and highly visible Los Angeles market. More about the reasons and sports and money in those schools in a minute. But first, a little about me.
___________________________________

    I like to write; hard to say that I love it, since I do not write enough and with enough intensity to claim the love, like some people who are writers and love it. Some are great at it, but perhaps do not love it. Either way, I am one of a few million writers, and I have a few hundred interests. Some of which distract from the art and craft, and discipline, of writing. Some of my deal my entire life is reading. I feel the need to consume sometimes more than produce. Most writers figure out the balance, or symbiosis. Reading and writing.

    For me it is a life-long "like". I hope that I am getting better at it, that I am developing, improving, perhaps becoming more worth reading. At least to myself. I recall reading journal entries throughout my life and cringing. The words and the thoughts, at times the styles and the methods made me feel inadequate. However, I am still glad that I did write the words down. I am glad that there are blogs now.

    Even when Foxsports.com wiped out a few of mine from 2006 to 2009. Hard to get over. I still may recover them someday. Time will tell. Not the end of the world if not. I was better for participating in it then, and it was a good exercise in writing. And sharing.
_______________________

    Part of my issue is that I would love to write about hundreds of things, which is pretty untenable.

    Like what is listed in my blog title. 

    Blogging about life, sports, news, books or literature, faith, and many other things.
    
Yep.    Did I...? Whoops, lost control of my colors and font.
I will create a part 2...








No comments:

Post a Comment