Thursday, April 28, 2022

Writers Solve Problems

Writers Solve Problems

    I was thinking about what I write, why I write. Why does anybody write what they do? I think that most of us write to solve problems. Problem might be a simplistic heuristic to express. Or, in other words, an easy general explanation of what we all write about.
    Most of us read more than we write. I do. I am not sure how much I read per day. With the Internet, I know I read news and other special interest articles and blogs. Emails and the social media that we read counts, too. Tweets? Sure. Sort of. FaceBook entries and posts? Yeah, sure. We read them. Interpersonal texts and emails? Yes, all of these media platforms become part of what we read. And write.

    George Orwell, one of my favorite writers, has written on why we write. I recommend the read. He solves some problems with his writings. Many of us do not know how to interpret the answers. He writes fiction, which sometimes provides answers to problems that we have a hard time grasping.

    Not all fiction solves problems. Perhaps some of it creates more. Some people write things, articles, books, in order to obfuscate or confuse, conflate or deceive.

Sure. Lies go around, as do myths. 

Most of us cannot be right, right?

Right.

Nevertheless, we do solve problems by writing.

We will solve more as we go.

I will write more later.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to offer conjecture on Steinbeck, Hemingway, London, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Tolstoy, perhaps orhers.

    ReplyDelete