Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Thoughts on "Once on This Island" by Lynn Ahrens

Thoughts on "Once on this Island" by Lynn Ahrens

    I was able to watch the musical, originally produced in 1991 on Broadway, (while I was in South America), three times since returning home this end of March and beginning of April, after being away from home for a long time. I watched my second and oldest children perform in it. It was cool to see them act, sing, and dance. I was lucky to see the last three nights in a row. It reminded me a little of being in college, when I did a theatre minor and sometimes I would observe some shows multiple times, some that I was in myself.

    I did enjoy the shows, more as the music became more familiar to me, but I did also have some questions about the themes in the musical. I could go on at length about the ideas of classism, race, and the subjugation of women, as some critics brought up.

I won't now in this write-up. I wanted to post this now because it was sitting in my draft queue and I wanted to get it out there.

I appreciated the exposure to this art piece, the creativity in it, and those who performed.

Steven Flaherty was interesting and enjoyable, too.

More later? Hopefully, yes.



1 comment:

  1. Journaling. I could put this in FamilySearch/FamilyHistory acoount.

    ReplyDelete