Saturday, May 28, 2022

States and Countries, 2022

States and Countries, 2022

I wanted to talk about countries and places.

I just went to my 50th state, so here goes:

Alabama. Last visited maybe two winters ago. Mostly drove through, it was hillier than I expected. Birmingham looked pretty nice. A southern gas station rejected our credit card. I cannot remember why or how we resolved the issue. Called a number after using a debit card? First world problems, Alabama. I like college football, and Coach Saban recently got controversial for accusing Jackson State and Texas A & M for paying players. Wow. You go by Nick, Mr. Saban? He walked back a bunch of his vitriol. Interesting, all the same. They have been dominant for a long time.

Alaska. Just got back. Explored four communities, saw a few more, especially nature.
We only saw a small corner of it, but this place is massively beautiful and a tremendous resource for the world. Tourism is big for good reason.

Arizona. I lived there for over four months in 2009.  Luckily for me over 5,000 feet, not as hot as the big urban centers. Some people like the heat, I find it pretty oppressive. I like visiting in the winter or early spring, as I have done a couple times. My kids made it to the Grand Canyon last year, happy they finally saw it. I made some good friends from Arizona last year, too, primarily a chaplain. Great dude.

Arkansas. This was my 48th state, achieved way back in 1998. I did not stay long, but I saw some good parts of it, especially the Ouchitas and Ozarks, mountains that I had noticed on a map at an elementary school as a substitute teacher that year. I saved money by sleeping in my car. Poor man's trip, but worthwhile for me.

California. Lived there 8 total years. Visited or lived there a total of 17 years in a row. Last visited a few summers ago, I was happy to take my family to Tijuana, Mexico. I visited Mexico twice as a youth, now since last winter my children have been there twice also. California. A lot in common with Mexico. And Chile, too.

Colorado. Last drove through with the family, going through the mountains. Beautiful, picturesque. We lost our hub cap of our Ford Transit, despite us trying to attach it right. Later, after Denver heading east, someone stole our credit card numbers from a gas station. It might have happened in Western Colorado, nearer the city of ... Nephi Thompson, the roommate who inspired me to finally read Dune. He was from Grand Junction, an isolated part of the country.

Connecticut. Last time there we bought some Popeye's chicken sandwiches. Edmund was sleeping. We were returning from Rhode Island and a nice New England trip with the boys. That was the summer of Covid. Corona novel, or novel corona virus. What a time, Connecticut. And the world.

Delaware. I have spent a couple of Thanksgivings there. My family one more while I was away. I have enjoyed the beaches there, but the last time the parking proved difficult.

Florida. Spent some nice winter days down there the last few years. Lots of hotels, a little bit of camping. Military base in Jacksonsville; not a bad price but sticky water and Sulphur smell. The kids saw Frozen II; I watched the bowl games of New Year's.

Georgia. I did an Arabic study refresher there. I came up short on the listening! But my company still paid me double to be there. It was cool to see the Kennesaw battle fields and museum.

Hawai'i. Went there once in 2002, also for Thanksgiving. Journay was a baby. It was a nice trip, even though we realized late that we had to return to the states a day earlier than we originally thought. Number 49 for me. Took me almost 20 years to get to the next and last one.

Idaho. I have not spent much significant time there. My daughter is going to attend college there in a few months. Perhaps I will go a bit more. I would prefer to go when warmer, maybe even catch some football game. That sounds right. Smurf turf? Despite BYU having a good season last year, they lost to the Broncos. And, I attended church with Boise State fans. Some of them tried to rub it in. Nice.

Illinois. I walked there with my family and step-dad from across the Wabash. How often do we walk across state lines? Not too often, for most of us. The Land of Lincoln. I have been to the Chicago temple to do endowments a couple of times, did baptisms as a youth before then.

Indiana. INDIANA! I went there last month, with my youngest daughter. Good trip, went to Marengo Cave in Crawford County for the first time. Nice to see family, attended Ray Doyle's memorial service and caught up with Tony and Buzz. Maybe the first time since 1989.

How many states is that? More later.

Blog on.










No comments:

Post a Comment