Saturday, May 7, 2022

In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen

 In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen

I hold those words sacred, and noble. I try not to use them lightly. I believe that there is power in using them, and it is a way of affirming my faith in Jesus, the Son of God, and the way to properly address God the Father in prayer, normally the way that we end our prayers, or solemn statements or meetings. We do things in the Lord's name, and His name is serious and not to be used tritely. It is part if how I understand the Ten Commandments and the sacramental vows that I took upon myself at baptism when very young, and the vows that I renew almost every Sunday throughout the year.

To me, this is solemn, important, and a vital part of the way that I believe and try to act. It is a signature of who I am, and what I believe.

I was thinking about this statement of faith and belief, the main way I as a Christian and Latter-day Saint communicate publicly and privately.

I have some anecdotes about it, like the time in 2011 that I used it for the Thanksgiving prayer at my government office, and once person talked to me about and why he disagreed with it. Save that story for another day.

Now I have observed this statement used, properly, at a couple of funerals of close friends or family, and those who used it may not be active in the faith, or necessarily believers. I am not sure. Not up to me to know their personal beliefs, but it got me thinking.

It is the norm and acceptable way to end our thoughts, messages, and prayers from the pulpit.

It is not to be abused or taken lightly. And, it should not be used to brag or make others uncomfortable.

There are times and places are using it, tactfully.

More later...



No comments:

Post a Comment