Saturday, February 10, 2024

Death and Remembrance - Celebrating Living

 Death and Remembrance - Celebrating Living

    I just finished a long Hemingway, novel, called Islands in the Stream. I usually get things from his writing. Most of us do, right? It is a long book, for him. It seems to be largely autobiographic. It was published posthumously, along with three other books. I read one of them back in high school. That was a weird one, I think. But it was him, from his writings I know him now. The Garden of Eden.

    Throughout his life and career's work Hemingway dealt with the serious issues of life and death. His short stories of a native American woman who dies giving birth, the love of his life and the newborn that die in Europe in his classic A Farewell to Arms, Death in the Afternoon, about the bullfights of Spain, and others of war and trauma. Or even of depression and suicide.

    This one followed suit. He is/was a great writer. He knew it.

    I have read him and about him the last few years, trying to write and compose my own stuff.

    I believe that many of the themes are the same. Themes are universal.

    Makes sense.

    Glad I read it. Glad he lived; we know he died. We all will, as we know. We will all die, for what we know now.

    But, we can celebrate and enjoy the living part. Even without downing copious amounts of alcohol.

    And, we will take note of it. Make comments and create stories of it.

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment