Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My Mom has Become Part of History

I have always really enjoyed human history, and even a bit of cosmological and scientific earth history. It all helps figuring out who and where we are.

I would say my curiosities are insatiable, I will always want to know more.

I saw an interesting quote by (who else?) Winston Churchill: "The farther you know of the past the farther you will see in the future."

My mother (1940-2014) did not play a big part of known human history, but she did some significant and meaningful things. She vaccinated many children in West Africa that are either alive today, or their offspring are surviving, because of her efforts. She worked as an LDS service missionary with my step-dad in Cambodia and Indonesia.

But her biggest impact may be here in the United States...

Her living offspring here.

Having faith in the hereafter, perhaps her greatest impact will be beyond the veil, as we call it.

But yes, she did things as a nurse that will be counted for many years, but unknown service will be that hallmark. Maybe my nephew in Sierra Leone is teaching and baptizing people of part of her legacy.

Someday we may know. For now, we can always hope and dream, that perhaps are lives are 1: that interconnected, and 2: that significant.

And I have a strong feeling that both are true on those counts.

Blog on, EMC

No comments:

Post a Comment