Saturday, March 15, 2014

High School Classes

(re-edited 30 March 2014).

I have sometimes thought about my high school class of 1989; how I grew apart from them and over the years (almost 25 now) I have occasional knowledge or connections to some of them. But very few times and circumstances do I hear or see of them in this time of Facebook linking, which have occurred few and farther between.

Even when I lived in Bloomington in 1992,  parts of 1997, '98 and '99, there was minimal contact.

1992: I had an IU English class with a guy in my high school class. I cannot remember his name. He seemed like a nice fellow; he was a biking enthusiast. I also attended a wedding with one of the twins of my class. We hung out a little but that was brief. I ran into Pete Hoff near the Indiana School of Education... Nothing more than that. I saw Andy Hamilton working at the TIS, the college book store.

1997: I took a Kaplan class downtown and I became a MCCSC Substitute teacher. Did I run into any of my fellow classmates? Maybe Paul Fratiani who was investigating my faith.

1998: Going to IU and teaching and having a couple of other jobs, I saw Brian Underwood. Good guy. Good to catch up a little with him.

1999: Finishing up my teaching degree at IU, student teaching in Brown County. Not a lot of contact with all those folks.

Three plus years and little more than 3 old contacts. I spoke to good old friend Jake Smith because of a class about small groups.

I can and have accessed some good information about them through a good website that has some good features for us to use. Here it is:
http://www.bhss1989.com/

I became more active with it while overseas; perhaps having extra time during those weeks and months, in 2012 and 2013. I still find it interesting and it compels me to write on it. I think I have contributed more to the overall site (by my words) than anyone else.

Maybe because I am the wanna-be chaplain, I cannot help, or at least feel compelled to write about those of my 400+ graduating class that have passed on. There is a growing handful, as death is a part of life.

I have not made it to the high school reunions; usually I would like to attend but I have work taking me elsewhere.

How many show up? What would we talk about?

Are most of us really strangers now? (2014).

Stranger every year?

Maybe. Just quirks of geography and happenstance, in so many ways.

But many of us may still be connected in ways that someday will be significant. Undoubtedly, many are likely still in contact with each other. Whatever the case, the people that I spent so many years of my last days of public education with are spread across the globe; we are still connected through our common past.

And what significance does that have? More or less, depending on our stations in life.

For me, as a person who likes to remember the past and analyze things yesterday, today and into the future, I think my class of '89 may still play a part of my life.

We shall see.

Blog. On. EMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment