Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I Do Have Some Nice Step Brothers (and Sister)

Last post I talked about the coming and going of brothers in my earlier years,  and even into adulthood, but I forgot to mention that I have some step-siblings, including step-brothers. I didn't grow up with them. My step-father's son, who was 18 when my step-dad married my mom was 18 and moving out of the country for the next few years. I met him for the first time before my mom's wedding in 1986. I was 16 and a sophomore in high school. I next met him again maybe three years later, or possibly 5, after my foreign mission.

When I was a junior in high school my dad re-married and acquired another step-brother and step sister, plus their spouses, and their children as step-nieces and nephews. So since 1988 I have had step-brother relationships which are nice, but when we get together we sometimes feel more like cousins that siblings. But I have had a good time hanging out with them over the years, particularly at holidays and special birthdays.

So, my last post "Growing Up Without a Brother" was not slight on them. They have been nice bonus family for me.

It was more the "going south" of the last relationship to that closer brother-in-la from my youth, which is "south" now but not ended. Just strained because of divorce. And distance. And time.

But I think we still think of each other as brothers in a few ways.

Maybe more about Arnold later.

Blog on. EMC

No comments:

Post a Comment