Friday, March 21, 2014

Family Trips to See the Past (1st Iteration)

I thought this was erased but maybe the draft was automatically saved. ---Yes!

TEST. Updated Saturday, 22 March '14.


A week or so ago I wrote down some potential titles as blog posts to write about. I read them out loud tonight and my daughter Madhya picked the one that I will write about (see above). I have been in a more nostalgic or memory-searching mode the last few weeks with the rather quick passing of my mother. She had been sick, but things went rapidly in late February.

I have not experienced death so close to me before, and for some obvious reasons it is good to record personal and family history, which I have done through this blog, writing the eulogy for her services, and talking with friends and loved ones.

Today at my work I mentioned her a couple of times, but not that she had recently passed. Only a few things about her, that pertained to me. I shared a joke about a bull fight restaurant and her name, both related to Spanish, which I was teaching.

Growing up as I did, my family did vacations and travels that could be broken into four categories:

1. Visiting living family.
2. Visiting faith related places, like church or historical sites, including dead family places at cemeteries or libraries.
3. Visiting national landmarks and regional/national tourist sites.
4. Visiting friends.

Because my parents are both from the Boston area, until I was a teenager we did a fair share of visiting in and around Boston, Massachusetts, including frequent trips to Cape Cod and the return visits through Kingston, Ontario, Canada, and Niagara Falls. That part of the northeast has captured many of my childhood memories. Some specific towns and cities include Netwon, Wellesley, Hanover, Hyannis, West Dennis and Orleans, among others.

The last time I visited New England in the 1980s, the summer before my two year mission in South America, I recall visiting some more nationally historic places like the Boston Harbor, Concord and Lexington, and Breed's Hill (which is the real place Bunker Hill purports to be.)

I made it up there in 1995 and 1997...more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment