It is Hard to be Mainstream because We Are not Mainstream - A Peculiar People
My senior year of high school I tried... No, I was a junior in my honors English class. I tried to write up, mostly on my home computer, what or how or something about being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A Latter-day Saint. My kind or brand of Christian. A Mormon.
I struggled. I thought. I though hard, but distanced myyself. I procrastinated. I had a few flashes of brilliance, or at least ideas. The end result was not great. I wanted to make it great. I came up short. I needed help from others, most likely. More close friends or people who got me, or would help.
Story of my life, perhaps.
No chances to blog back then.
At the age of 48 I was having a debate with some co-workers in the middle of nowhere, Louisiana if being of my religious faith was to be a minority. No, they said. Not a minority. However, part of me countered that statement. We are a minority. A religious minority, for sure, but not an ethnic one. There are differing types of minorities.
Racial minorities. Linguistic minorities. Socio-economic minorities. Cultural minorities. Females in the military, is a minority.
We Latter-day Saints are a combination of minorities. Religious, cultural, ethnic in a way.
We are not mainstream, though we want to be in most ways. But our rules and lifestyle precludes us in many ways.
We want to be in the world but not of it. Not worldly.
We wish to be a peculiar people, and a light on the hill, as the the Bible has prophesied.
Like the Jewish, we wish to fulfill God's will and truths and be His people.
That is the way it is, and how we strive to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment