Friday, May 22, 2020

The Caribbean Saved Me

The Caribbean Saved Me

Some people, including me, might think that I was spoiled by going on Caribbean cruises every winter break of my three middle school years. However, in my own defense, I must say that it was not all fun and games, it was not not all rosy and cheery, and despite all the great times, memories, even luxuries shared, there was some heavy doses of the not-so-good times.

But overall it was great, and I loved it, I learned a lot, and perhaps I can say now, some almost 30 years later, the Caribbean Islands, the peoples and the cultures and the mere knowledge of their existence and music and cultural diversity helped save me.

It has soothed me, comforted me to know there are such places outside my own. That the languages and the sounds and the vibes of these friendly people are real, that they exist. Comforting.

Do you know what I mean?

Do you hear the reggae and just feel that you might be okay, that, like the character of Will Smith in I am Legend, Bob Marley can cure the ills of your soul through his inspirational music?

Last summer during some really long hours and days of duties in Louisiana, the song "Redemption  Song", which I bothered to write down on my own little note and access it from my pocket when I had a spare moment...

There are definitely times in life when we get down, we are sad and in a funk, or frustrated and even angry with our lot, perhaps we are struggling with work and economic issues, emotional or relationship struggles and trials, mean bosses or tiresome cohorts, poor health or near tragedies and issues that are burdensome, even the feeling of being trapped or caged in a rut, entrenched or overwhelmed by events and circumstances. Not that we can really know the life of bondage or slavery, but there is a healing medicine in the words and the medicinal elixirs of the rhythms and music, the poetry and overarching message of liberation, freedom, peace, and new hope in tranquility and soothing relief.

Here are the words:

Old pirates, yes, they rob I,
Sold I to the merchant ships
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit
But my 'and was made strong
By the 'and of the Almighty
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly
Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs
Redemption songs
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery
None but our self can free our minds
Have no fear for atomic energy
'Cause none of them can stop the time
How long shall they kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look?
Some say it's just a part of it
We've got to fulfill de book
Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs
Redemption songs
Redemption songs
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery
None but our self can free our mind
Have no fear for atomic energy
'Cause none of them can stop the time
How long shall dey kill our prophets
While we stand aside and look?
Some say it's just a part of it
We've got to fulfill de book
Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever had
Redemption songs
All I ever had
Redemption songs
These songs of freedom
Songs of freedom
For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind
Thank you Sir Marley and the millions of generous, kind, and warm souls of the Caribbean.
You have been a collective balm to my tired soul, many times. Keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment