Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Lawns versus Trees: Gardens, Too

Lawns versus Trees: Gardens, Too

     I have been working at home most of the last two months; even large chunks of the weekends! Some of my children might think I am a lazy bum, perhaps others too, think of me in that light, but I have been making some good money (not to brag, just saying... I am blessed, and lucky). Even though we have had some pretty cool weather after a relatively warm winter and March, there has been plenty of grass growing around my vicinity; I can tell the lawns are fecund from day to day and week to week because I hear people mowing the lawns and grass, far and wide in proximity to my residence. In the morning, in the afternoon, even pretty far into some evenings, I hear the motors of lawn cutters, some pushing, some riding, all whining high, low, near and far.
    Early this morning the city (even though, according to a long time nearby resident we are only technically a post office) had their guy out back cutting the grassy thoroughfare on his ride machine. It moves fast and he knows where avoid stumps and hazards. It was about seven in the am, before anyone else in my household was awake, and probably most of the rest of the neighborhood. He is working, getting paid, not risking his health too much, and "beautifying" our community, on tracks of land with grass where not many community members even come by. But these lawn movers provide their community labor and service, and keep moving.
   
    Then there is the local talent, paid and unpaid. Formal and informal sectors of the economy. Growing up I mowed and earned my share cutting grass, collecting and raking some of it, heaving and chucking the sticks and twigs, saving a lot of those earnings and spending other parts. I walked among many residences when delivering newspapers, most of them with lawns and grasses, but there were the ivy growers, the garden folks, the flower planters, the plant enthusiasts. And then there were my favorite: there were one or two homes that did not have a "yard", they only had trees and humus.

   How natural! No muss, no fuss! And what, at the end of the day, was best for the planet? for the time investment of labor, for consumption of fossil fuels, the burning up of the engines and the whine and buzz of the push mowers, the smells of the gas and the oil and soot? One guy on my dead end street, to his credit, would push the hand propelled mower with the blades that only ran by human muscle. And so much quieter!

Across all our states of the fifty nifty there are different land owners who deal with their properties in varying fashions. Many lawns and grass, and all the other options. Some use those cuttings as feed for their animals, that makes sense to me. But what of all the cut grass? What is it used for?

I understand that it is great to have open lawns to run with animals or as a jogger, throw and pass frisbees and footballs and baseballs, and tackle and scramble in the blades of grass on warm sunny days and cool brisk evenings... There are a lot of places for that, and we have common maintained parks. Like those who live in the city. Even the people who live in the rural country have their parks and playing fields to romp in. But many of them have forests and fields of crops, not necessarily lawns to mow...

I don't know. What is better to have more of?

Is it all up to the individual? Or does society have more of a claim and stake in how to populate their grounds and territories with foliage and plant life, the fauna of life and our healthy environment?

Other countries have their issues with budgets, economies, droughts, climates, lifestyles, and decisions to make about what to put in their earth. Or on it.

Here? I can go for more woods. Even in our front and back yards. Or, maybe at least our side yards?

Bottom line: I like the trees more than grass. But we are blessed to have both, don't get me wrong.

Noise pollution? Trees are better. Even when the winds pick up... And there is danger...

Trees. All kinds. Plant 'em.


No comments:

Post a Comment