Sunday, December 31, 2023

Wine, the Alcoholic Drinks not So Great

 Wine; the Alcoholic Drinks not So Great

    I heard a recent report on the radio that wine sales are down, perhaps worldwide, and vintners and wine producers in France, among other places, are hurting.

    This is a good trend, in my opinion. Grapes and grape juice are good, but the fermentation and the alcoholic effects are not good. 

    They say that Generation Z is not so interested in drinking as they used to, even in France. Weekly consumption, compared to a generation ago, is down. Wine sellers and growers in parts of France are holding thousands of kilos of wine that is unsold, and many farmers and owners are financially struggling.

    I am not concerned nor worried for them. They will have to find new markets.

    More and more people realize that the imbibing of spirits is not the most joyful of practices, and it often proves expensive. There are very cheap wines available throughout the world, but I think that many folks know that the introduction to their blood stream, brain, and liver, is not the most optimal way to go about living.

    I come from a family that abstained, so I know that we saved a lot of money not spending on these drinks. But for me, more importantly, spiritually and emotionally we benefitting from being dry and far from the effects of alcohol.

    I am not condemning those who drink. Most do it in moderation, and it makes sense for them. Those who overdo it, like anyone of us who can take in too much sugar, or tobacco, or carbohydrates, are playing with fire. Those who get sick with alcoholism, we (I) feel bad for you. I have seen it bring down some good folks. Including family and close co-workers.

    But, I am happy that wine sales are down. Grapes can be used for better things. Or, other fruits can replace them. 

    On an otherwise dry military base where I lived in the Middle East, the alcohol was only consumed weekly by the Friday evening and Sunday congregations of religious believers.

    Yet, there are fewer people attending those services in the younger generations now than before. Less to drink even on the holy days for those services.

    Scientists have done some studies that show that wine is good for the heart and the blood. I think it has to do with the acid or compound in the grape, not the fermented part of the wine.

    Time will tell.

    For now, let's not spend our money or time on these drinks. I spend some time thinking about it.

    That is partially the economist in me, but also a wishful thinker. 

    Cheers all, bottoms up on another dry holiday.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment