Friday, January 5, 2024

Counting Blessings - Even Though Negative Thoughts Creep In

Counting Blessings - Even Though Negative Thoughts Creep In

    Perhaps with age some of us can think of more negative things than before. That could happen, because despite successes in our lives and for others, the losses add up too. Plus, aging in itself brings a few negatives that we did not worry about as much in our youth. Some of the foibles of our youth can catch up with us. Perhaps we did not make more money when we were younger, and maybe that led to less savings for our retirement, which can be a source for consternation or concern, stress and negativity.

    I definitely know more people who have died at this age than before, but I do not think that I suffered many losses in my younger years, so it is true that many people have suffered more negative things when they were younger, in comparison. We all have stresses and trials to bear.

    I know that I have thought of some negative things lately. For example, past mistakes at jobs and under bosses, past errors in social situations and in many attempts at trying to do the right thing, or simply failing at many things. Much of these feelings are swallowed up in forgiveness for myself or others, but many things resurge sometimes. I can get into negativity cycles, or spirals, about the past, present, and future. But, I know there is much to be thankful for. 

    Of course.

    Among the negativity, there are things to list and be thankful for.

    1. The United States and the world are majority at peace despite ongoing conflicts in Ukraine and now Gaza/Palestine. Parts of the Africa have some spots where many people are in conflict and violence, like Congo and eastern Africa, and parts of the Sahel. Asia only has a few rough spots, except foe the perpetually scary Arab nations of Yemen, Syria, now Iran and Iraq, on again and off. Kurdistan usually has unspoken violence...

    But most of us are at peace. 

2. Most people have jobs, at least in the U.S. A whole percent better than Canada, which I think is saying something. After visiting the Plains provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. There are minorities in those provinces that feel slighted and like second-class citizens. I met and saw a few of them, like the Metis, last summer.

3. I am okay. My family is really all right, I think.

4. Most of my extended family and friends and colleagues are doing well.

5. The immediate and future is good.

6. I am a part of a good faith and community and a lot of people care for and support me. People from my work, too.

7. I have enough health, not the best, but making do.

Counting my blessings. We all can.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment