Monday, March 6, 2023

March Will Have a Winner of the College World - A New or Old Team Shall Triumph?

 March Will Have a Winner of the College World - A New or Old Team Shall Triumph?

    A few weeks ago I was looking at the all-time results of the NCAA men's basketball tournament final champions, since 1939. Yes, it started before World War II. It did not become the exclusive tourney of all champions until UCLA went on its mind-boggling streak in the 1960s and 1970s. The National Invitational Tournament (NIT) used to be very respected and as much vaunted as the NCAA tourney. There was one college team that one time won both in the same year! Who was that? I will look it up later...

    But a small number of teams have won the 82 championships 35 percent of the time, or so, for a total 28 or so? I have the numbers written down, but I cannot find them right now... I will, or should.
    The biggest winners over a third of the time are:

    UCLA - 11
    Kentucky - 8
    North Carolina - 6
    Duke - 5
    Indiana -5

So, that is a lot. Two teams have four each, Kansas and Connecticut. 35 plus eight makes 43. That is more than half the championships between 7 teams. 

    There have been quite a few two-time winners, and there have been 22 (I think I counted on a list that I made in a place that I cannot find now). That is about a quarter of the time, a one-off. Could we have a first time champ this year? Gonzaga? St. Mary's? Purdue or Alabama?

    It is possible.

    Here's hoping IU plays dominantly, but don't bet your savings on it. Purdue would be good if IU cannot. Purdue has zero, and many years of great teams.


1 comment:

  1. North Carolina lost to Virginia in the ACC tourney and seems to be done!

    ReplyDelete