Wednesday, January 27, 2021

State Capitals and their Capitols

 State Capitals and their Capitols

    I have been in and around a few state capitol buildings. This 2021 inauguration we are looking at a few, or all of them, as they represent the democracy and organized governments that we cherish in the United States. After the attack and siege of the federal Capitol building less than two weeks ago (January 6), there are thousands of state troops ready and already deployed to these grounds to protect from the threat of continued trespass and violence.

A review for me:

Alabama. I have spent little time in the state overall; I have never been to Montgomery except driving down beside it on the freeway to get off the interstate and arrive in the Florida panhandle, leading up to New Year's, December of 2019. We looked to the east and saw the city, with daylight moving to the west with the setting sun. Lots of U.S. Civil Rights history there. Good sized town, or city.
 
Alaska.  Juneau is not the biggest city of this small populated state, but it is much further south than Anchorage or Fairbanks, which must help with sunlight and temperature. Travel from other parts out of state, too, should be closer. I was going to visit Alaska last spring, 2020, before our plans were cancelled due to the pandemic.

Arizona. I have been to Phoenix a couple times, but mostly in the suburbs. I have not seen their capitol building up close, but I have gazed at the downtown area while driving by. 2002, 2005...
 
California. I have been to near downtown Sacramento, and to the suburbs with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Temple. 1997, 2007-8. I do not recall going up to the capitol of our most populous state or looking at it. I have lived in California eight years of my life, and I have visited the state many other times.

Colorado. I have spent a little time in downtown Denver, I have driven through the city a few times, but I have not recalled looking at the capitol building of this fast growing state.

Connecticut. I have driven through Hartford, as recently as 2017; I may have seen the downtown area and maybe I saw their state capitol building.

Delaware. I have spent a couple of Thanksgivings outside of Dover. Once coming home, or maybe once going out to the beach, or both, we drove around the capitol building. This is a small town and feels like it. I remember the state capitol building felt more to me like a county courthouse.

Florida. I have driven by Tallahassee a few times, but I do not remember much of seeing into the city, since the downtown is removed from the interstate and the north side where I have passed.
 
Georgia. Huge capital city, like Phoenix, or Sacramento. But bigger. I drove through this burgeoning city as a teen, and spent some time there in the suburbs professionally, driving through the downtown area once, seeing CNN and a few media outlets, but I cannot recall the capitol building there.

Hawaii. I was able to visit Honolulu in 2002. We briefly rented a car and I drove some of downtown, but I do not recall seeing the capitol building.
 
Idaho. I was able to drive by Boise in 1994, and I not remember seeing the capitol building. I do recall seeing the Latter-day Saint Temple.
 
Illinois. The capital is the smaller town Springfield. I have never been there.
 
Indiana. I grew up miles from downtown Indy; usually we would go to the west side of the city for the airport. We would go to the city sometimes as tourists and consumers. I think I have been around the capitol building, a bit north of the central Circle Drive.
 
Iowa.
 
Kansas. 

Kentucky.

Louisiana.

Maine.

Maryland.

Massachusetts.

Michigan.



No comments:

Post a Comment