Friday, July 17, 2020

We Watched "Alexander Hamilton" Last Night

We Watched "Alexander Hamilton", the musical,  Last Night

     I had been hearing some of the music and lyrics of this ground breaking musical since it came out around 2016. I believe that I watched and heard interviews with its creator, the writer/actor Miranda in the intervening years. The kids and some friends watched it last week; I walked by and saw some of the cast and scenes.

I am very impressed by the structure and content of the play as written and performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Great talent and performances were replete. Huge energy, powerful ideas and themes. The stories and research necessary to portray those people and times is tremendous and impressive.

This casts U.S. history in different lights, and I believe the inter-textuality of slavery and human rights is incredibly prescient and well crafted, even more so in 2020 than the time it debuted around 2016, still before President Trump and the current anti-law enforcement sentiments, but after some of the police brutality tragedies and subsequent riots of those times in Ferguson, Missouri, and Baltimore...

Powerful, energetic, creative and genius in parts, this is a "tour de force", as they say.

Miranda does an amazing job of combining the songs and messages, playing on universal and topical messages and themes.

Color me impressed. It inspires me to read more about Hamilton and by him, and others of those times...

--Blogged it

TWO MORE THINGS:

I am committed and I have to remind myself: I will attend at least five black churches, especially when the pandemic conditions are calmed, either near and far.

The next time that I bear my testimony, at church or whatever, "preaching the Word", I might utter, "I am not throwin' away, my: shot!"

Carpe diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment