Sunday, July 19, 2020

Did I not mention Ken Snow? I will now...

Did I not mention Ken Snow? I will now...

Outside of my home town of Bloomington, Indiana, and even within Bloomington, a lot of people may not realize how great the Indiana University men's soccer program has been for decades. They consistently are one of the best Division I teams in the nation, which admittedly is second tier compared to American football, basketball, and even baseball in the United States, but it is still a big deal to be among the nation's elite in a such a competitive sport.

Jerry Yeagley brought greatness to the men's team since I was young in the 1970s. Since then IU has won 8 national championships and been to many more College Cups, which is the Final Four, which is rarefied air in the world at this level. Yeagley was succeeded by an older assistant coach, who won a national crown in his short tenure, and not long after that his son, Todd, has taken the helm and maintained a very high standard of play at Indiana. Todd won a national title in 2012.

Recently, arguably the best IU scorer of all time unexpectedly passed away. His name was Ken or Kenny Snow, and by most accounts was the best and most prolific scorer in Indiana men's soccer history.

It was on June 21 that he died of complications, as we know now probably linked to COVID-19.

Ken was described by the coaches, opponents, and fans that observed him as the best in IU history. He played all four years in Bloomington, which helped, because nowadays he would have gone professional sooner, most believe. His brother Steve was also on the team.

He affected me my senior year, which is an honor in most ways, because the day, or even hour, his team won the national championship on our home campus I was performing in a high school musical a few miles northwest of there. Less people attended our show because of that momentous event, I believe.

I was happy we won that fall of 1988, on a rather crisp but as I recall sunny December day. Back then that was Coach Yeagley's fourth championship or so.

Todd was a player for my high school team with many of my friends. I did not know Todd personally, who ended up playing two seasons with Snow, and no national championships for them then as the University of Virginia was on a tear, but they were really good teams.

I had a crush on Todd's older sister Yvette, in middle school, back around 1983, who was two grades older than me and the same age as my sister Jeannette.

Ken Snow was born June 23, 1969, thus missing out on his 51st birthday by two days.

COVID-19 got you too young, and it seems like you were raising more soccer talent for future greatness, few of whom may ever reach your stature, but you should have lived well past this summer.

Rest in peace, brother. Thanks for bringing your talents and more glory to Old IU.

Thanks for living a really good life. We need more like you.


No comments:

Post a Comment