Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Scott Russell Sanders: River Man Thinker

I just read "Staying Put: Writing from the Center" by the above-mentioned author who resides in or near Bloomington, Indiana.


A good read. I enjoyed it and I think many other people would be enriched or enlightened by it.


I first learned about this author some six months ago while attending a Christmas concert at the St. Mark's Methodist Church. My step-mother pointed him out across the pews and I was curious to see and learn what he wrote about.


Based on some online research in the last few months, and now having read this book that he published in 1993 at age 46 or so, he is generally a naturalist, a little bit like Annie Leonard, only not as famous as her. He cites many previous generations of writers who focus on the outdoors, like Thoreau, Emerson, and a few other luminary environmental authors that I am less familiar with.


He describes in the book, a sequential set of essays, many things about nature and geography (history, science) that I enjoy; because it also takes place in my native Bloomington and southern Indiana and the Ohio River Valley, this made it more personable to me.


He is a thinker, and loves rivers and water, and is definitely in touch with the earth and his own mortality.


He is easier to read than Annie Dillard, only using some vocabulary that is beyond my immediate grasp.


I look forward to reading and learning more about him and his thoughts in the future.


Blog it. EMC.



No comments:

Post a Comment