Tuesday, July 22, 2014

James Alexander Thom, Historical Fiction Writer

I am finishing up another (of an impressive series) of novels by James Alexander Thom. He lives in southern Indiana and writes about the colonial and early American period of United States history.


I first read From Sea to Shining Sea (1984) in the late 1980s at the behest and gift of my mother. It was a good and very educational read. In the early 1990s I received Panther in the Sky (1989) and I read it by the end of the decade. It took me a while but I enjoyed it.


Now it has been Sign Talker (2000), about the voyage perspective of half-Shawnee half French George Drouillard, significant interpreter and hunter for the Lewis and Clark expedition.


All three have been very well put together as far as context and historical knowledge. He is not considered a great writer, per se, by many critics or readers, but he is a great researcher. His stories have enriched my understanding of the past.


My wife read Follow the River (1981) in the early 2000s, and enjoyed it. We own a couple more of his that I still need to read. And my mother and step-father, Ruth and Terry Carpenter, have most of the complete set which they have enjoyed since the 1980s.


I think that with time Mr. Thom may receive more due for his life's work (ouvre) and his creative and historical imagination and attention to detail.


Blog on. EMC 

No comments:

Post a Comment