Friday, July 25, 2014

I Have a Rather Large Sea Shell Collection...

I Have a Rather Large Sea Shell Collection!

This is the opening line of an old Steve Wright joke that I find funny, with a true principle behind it.



He says "I have a rather large sea shell collection. I keep it scattered across the beaches of the world. [Audience laughs]. Oh, you've seen it?"




I find it funny for the simple statement of possession followed by absurd claim to ownership of all of it, which is the joke on the surface. But he is right. We all own the planet,  right?




We simply have to go beaches with shells in order to enjoy them. All of us. We don't have to collect them and hide them away in our homes. Open displays are nice, though.


Taking all the shells may pose a problem. Something that some of my folks are sensitive about when it comes to Indiana geodes.




I am a concerned environmentalist to a point. I think that recycling plastics and other items are good and worthwhile. I hate waste. We should eat the food that we produce and serve ourselves, I think that it is good to use a dinner plate for desert or re-use utensils to avoid excessive washing of dishes that simply burns up more fossil fuels.




Our planet is beautiful; we should all be concerned about its survival and sustenance.


We should enjoy the beaches. Enjoy the shells.


Yesterday I was able to hang out at Bolsa Chica Beach near Huntington, California. It was great.


Despite having thoughts that we could probably see more beach and land there along the California coast than the 1.7 million Palestinians of the Gaza Strip by the Mediterranean;  (their current dealings with the Israeli ground offensive that have cost many lives, not affecting me too much but a conversation with a brother-in-law), we had a really good time.


How many beaches have I been to in my lifetime? How many days of my life have I walked in the salty or sweet water surf? How many of those times were with family?


Probably not enough on all three counts. But more than many; I am fortunate. Blessed to get sands between my toes.


Beaches...


I went to one in April in Cape Cod when it was unseasonably cold. Beautiful, and also with family, but too cold.


Warm and cool beaches are hard to beat.


Let's keep them clean.


Blog on. EMC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment