Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Doubting All the Indiana Basketball Coaches I Have Ever Known: Part 1

Here it is, I said I would write it...

Doubting All the Indiana Basketball Coaches I Have Ever Known

So I was born and raised in Bloomington, Indiana, and yes, I have an undying allegiance to the Indiana college basketball team. In retrospect, perhaps the early championships of Bob Knight spoiled me. There were three: all before I graduated high school. And they happened every 5-6 years of my youth.

Perhaps the the two earlier NCAA rings (1940, 1953) of Branch McCracken spoiled all us Hoosiers, long before my parents moved to the Hoosier State, accompanied by the legend Coach Knight.

We came to know winning. It made our world right.

We still expect to win. It makes the world right, according to us.

This is Indiana.

So, after the Coach Knight protege Mike Krzyshevski (never could spell that much) took over the nation's best winning pattern in Division 1 B-Ball (outside of Connecticut's Jim Calhoun) with Duke while Knight stopped getting his titles and eventually being fired from IU, Indiana University has gone through three and a partial coaches.

And I have problems with them.

I am no longer sure they can get us to the Promised Land.

I hold out on Crean, but...

Last week happened against Northwestern, while he overplayed two walk-ons while keeping two talented scholarship players on the bench.

More later...



No comments:

Post a Comment