Sunday, September 1, 2024

Commentator on NPR takes Lord's Name in Vain in Expression of Exasperation; Not Cool

Commentator on NPR takes Lord's Name in Vain in Expression of Exasperation; Not Cool

    I don't know the guy's name, the radio commentator. Guy Roz, maybe? I believe that I have heard him for years; I want to trust and respect him as a known and familiar voice on this nationally known radio medium. He was doing a thought-provoking and insightful show about 988 suicide hotline music, which understandably is a sensitive issue.

    When Guy, or whomever, a known voice for National Public Radio, uttered this name in this emotional way to a type of music that he found unappealing, by using my Lord and Savior's full name as an epithet, it hurt and offended me. This has gone on with me back to the 1970s when I was a small boy. As a child I had at least one friend back then who would yell out the Christian Redeemer's name in emotional outbursts; I knew that he and his faith did not believe in Him as I and millions of others do. 
    
    Even if a person does believe in Jesus the Messiah as their Lord, Friend, and Master, it does not make it right for those of us who take His name and His presence or status to, in my opinion, break one of the ten commandments (taking the Lord's name in vain), and using this name as way of epithetical slander. It is painful to me when yelled or uttered in contempt or derision. Even surprised reactions out loud using the Lord's name can be offensive to me, but more understandable. Many of us use His name when invoking a source of power and even hope. Of course, for me as a Christian, I try to always use it in solemn or respectful reverence. I know that this standard is difficult to maintain.

    Knowing that this show was specifically dealing with suicide, aimed at helping those people with difficult ideations and dealing with, on the whole, depression, makes it more sensitive to me, since my mom regularly suffered from depression, and like me, based much of her comfort and strength on the Son of God, our Beloved Jesus Christ, which means Yeshua the Anointed One.

    I hope I make myself clear. NPR needs to hold itself to a higher standard. Please do not let your commentators personally offend, both collectively and personally, many of us listeners with his personal ways of issuing epithets, such as this one, which can compound the very issues that he allegedly is working towards solving. His utterance of this name on the radio waves is painful and sticks with me. Part of me wanted to call the 988 hotline simply to reply to this emotional utterance. I write and express my feelings here, and I thank you for your consideration on such issues.

    If I ever call the national hotline in the future, which I do not plan on doing, this epithet by this NPR commentator will be on my mind. Sometimes we can be suicidal in our thoughts, other times even homicidal. I know that neither feeling or urge is healthy; I hope that we can avoid such negative thought processes and vocalizing. I have corrected my language and depictions of others over the years, learning not to offend, as I myself realized some of my language was offensive or hurtful. I know that we can all improve in the ways that we communicate. Thank you.

    -- A concerned listener.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment