Friday, June 23, 2023

A Good Family and Holiday Story

 Now about our daughter Torrey . . . many years ago when she was only three years old, she had a memorable Christmas. I had been deployed in Afghanistan as a brand-new Aircraft Commander flying the venerable C-130 Hercules. It was the longest separation our family had experienced up until that point in our military service. I was scheduled to return home in late January, but the Squadron was relocating to another Air Base and they wouldn’t be needing as many pilots at the new location. My Squadron Commander asked me if I would be willing to “sacrifice” and go home early from the deployment—it was a tough call but someone had to do it. The Squadron Commander told me he had all the volunteers he needed so it was fine for someone like me with a young family to return a few weeks early to be home for Christmas. I told him that I was going to surprise my wife and family by not telling them that I was coming home early. My Squadron Commander laughed and said he would normally discourage that but since he knew our family well, he would help keep it a surprise.

 

I emailed my wife Chalon and fabricated the story that I wouldn’t be able to email or call for the next several days since our unit was relocating to another country in theater. She understood but was sad since our three little girls would miss talking to their Dad during the holiday.

 

I coordinated with my uncle in Bountiful, where Chalon and my girls were staying, to come and pick me up from the airport. My flight home arrived late into Salt Lake City International and my uncle secretly picked me up. Since my wife and kids were already asleep, he suggested that I sleep in the room next to the girls and we would wait until morning to surprise the family. Do you know how hard it was to sleep in the next room after not seeing your family for months? The plan was to have Chalon and the girls go upstairs for breakfast and then my uncle would sneak downstairs with a large box to wrap me up as a present. Everything went according to plan. With my family upstairs, I slipped into the box and my uncle gift-wrapped the box and tied on a giant red ribbon. He went upstairs and asked Chalon and the girls if they would like to open a Christmas present before breakfast. The girls obliged and they hurried downstairs with Chalon in tow and surrounded the large, beautifully wrapped present by the Christmas tree. My uncle encouraged the girls to open the present and they immediately started tearing away the paper. When they opened the top of the box, Torrey (3 years old) peered down into the box and excitedly exclaimed—“it’s a man!”

 

After reflecting on the laughter and joy that followed, I thought on the significance of that moment. Torrey’s excitement of receiving a gift was supplanted by true joy when she realized that it was not just a man but her father. Likewise, we celebrate this season not just for a man…but rather the coming of the promised Messiah, our Savior and Redeemer, even the very Son of God.  When we more fully understand and realize the significance of His birth, we can more fully revel in the peace and joy this brings. “And he cometh into the world that he may save all men” (2 Nephi 9:21) It is my hope that through our examples, service and support, we can help our brothers and sisters all over the world to realize the significance of the Savior in our lives. I wish you and your families a blessed season of joy and happiness as we remember Christ and share His gospel.

 

Merry Christmas and Godspeed!

 

Your Brother,

C. Todd Linton

Director, Military Relations

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints



No comments:

Post a Comment