Monday, September 28, 2020

Derek Smeds: A Heck of a Guy

 Derek Smeds: A Heck of a Guy

My wife and three of our children and I attended a poignant outdoor vigil to the life of a really impactful guy in our community who died Monday (21 September 2020). This tribute happened Thursday, last night, and it was conducted at a local little league park. His name is Derek; I will explain why I want to write this. 

This man was inspirational to me and many others, I cannot count how many he touched. A thousand? Five thousand? Maybe more. All who knew him, assuredly. Of course his family and close friends are impressively affected by him the most, and now his passing at the precious age of 45 leaves a tremendous loss... But there are many more who will miss him, and are inspired by him.

Derek impacted me because he took time to coach and train my son, in a specialty and passion that he lived and loved, baseball. He was always friendly and kind in passing thereafter. My son, who was then maybe twelve, does not specifically recall how Derek took time to show him some techniques and give pointers on how to hit a baseball, swing a bat, but I will never forget it. 
 
Think of all the people who ever play baseball or tried to compete in this game. Reflecting on my own prospects, I was okay at it and somewhat enjoyed baseball, but I was pretty much done as a serious competitor by the time I was twelve years-old. I did not have the opportunities to compete at the level requisite to move on. Other people play until they are 14, or 18, or even 21, and at each level they continue to thrive. If you make it in competitive baseball when you are 21, you have a real chance at making some good money at a higher level in the pros, or simply playing in a game that provides a pleasurable existence in a world of money makers and some cutthroat frenzy of finances, or as some see it postponing the inevitable "real life" of the work force. No matter the outcome of the player and when he or she stops playing, many consider it a beautiful thing.
 
If anyone has a chance to do this, they need quite a bit of help, coaching, and expertise along the way.
 
There are those who embody the principles of excellence and effort, and Derek was a shining star of this principle.

Certainly Derek was this type of person. He loved the sport and gave of himself, much of his time and energy, to promote and learn and teach the sport to those of his generation, like me and other adults, and dozens and dozens of youth who have had a chance to go beyond the present mere games of this sport. He did things behind the scenes to improve the baseball fields and diamonds, to improve the physical environment of the baseball atmosphere to help the boys and girls, and then he tirelessly worked in helping the kids and other adults, like me, who would help the kids directly and indirectly.

My sons are still competitive at the sport at ages 14 and 12. They may or may not go on in it for many more years. But they might. And if they do, Derek has been a part of them. He contributed to all of us.

Derek was kind, energetic, giving, driven, enthusiastic, he had an infectious, memorable laugh and a sweet character. He simply cared and showed it everywhere possible, but especially behind the scenes.

He will be sorely missed by many; I was shocked to learn that he was gone so soon. Many of us, other coaches and parents who knew him, did not know that he was sick.

Cancer. Not sure what type yet, I will find out maybe this last week of September, now deep into the season. I have talked to a few of the other coaches and parents in this past week, asking questions and sharing a couple stories.

Not to be forgotten, not to be dismissed. 

Derek will live on through many games and fun filled days and nights into the distant future.

We commend you and thank you, sir. 

The nine innings of your life have been cut short, but the game is better, richer, more vibrant, more alive, more accessible and real, because of you.

And, as was said at the vigil, you did not lose to cancer, but you were beaten by it. You fought and lived the right way, and you are a champion on and off the field.

I thank God for people like you.

Thanks for caring and sharing.


No comments:

Post a Comment