Sunday, August 11, 2019

Story # 3 Eswatini Guy and the Boer: 2019

Combinations of 240 : Endless Stories (Started in 2018...)

There are 240 countries and nations in the world, plus or minus some islands and remote places that contain their own sub-cultures.It occurred to me that it would be interesting to capture an encounter or story about two people, respectively, from every place on the planet.

This would add up to 57,600 stories. An Indian and a Nepalese. A Bhutanian and a Falkland Islander (Malvino, I guess, in Spanish). And: another fifty-seven thousand, five hundred and ninety eight encounters more. Like an American and a Welsh. Er ... Welshman... Welsh lady? On and on it will go. What would your match ups be?

_____________________________________________________________

 Story # 3: Eswatini Guy and the Boer, 2019

Eswatini is the name of the newest modern country, a name changing on the maps and in official titles, by those of the former nation-- well, still a nation-- known as Swaziland. This happened this past decade, or last few years, we gather.

Swaziland is and was a mostly forgotten country way down in the bottom southeast of the massive continent of Africa. We know some things about the neighbors surrounding it, blocking it from the sea.  It is not too far from the Indian Ocean. Quick: name 5 countries that border the Indian Ocean. 
Some of us pay attention to maps. It's okay if you don't. Some of us spend our lives doing this.

Probably one of the reasons for this story.

Africa is anything but a lost cause, for those who did not know or consider it. Or... maybe racism and ethno-centrism is endemic among us, smart ones, wealthier ones... Many, perhaps most, think they are lost. Some think this is simply conventional wisdom based on evidence. Africa is not cursed for reasons of race, some might rationally argue, but they continually fail by the inferior cultures that they have created. No hope and pessimistic future. Us, the wealthy powerful ones look down and criticize them, or simply toss up our hands with no plan of action to solve the issues that plague them, us, humanity....

The  lucky elites with some power and fortune, see the others, especially the destitute blacks, as lost or even more: they populate too much.  There are too many of them! They cannot sustain life enough to even feed themselves! they accuse and villainize. And what of Ayanda, and the millions like him?

Ayanda Wickus Bhembe was a thirty year-old man of Swaziland, now eSwatini, of the majority Swazi tribe, always wondering what was to become of everything. He had these concerns, constantly. 

He could not help it.

He was from the city of Nhlangano; maybe for people so close to the border of South Africa it was natural to worry so.  Where the Swazi people and other natives of his land less worried thna they in the south? The water problems were more acute in the south parts of EswatiniSouth Africa was huge, and had powers and contained mysteries that he and his countrymen could not fathom.

He observed the South Africans over the course of his life, especially the Boers.

One thing that became many things that gave Ayanda hope was his belief in God; the faith structure that he was a part of. He was able to meet and become friends with members of his church, the principle and doctrines of it reassured him that he would be okay in this life and glorified in the life to come. With his family. He worried about the bigger picture, however. The greater country, the region, the continent, the world.

Water became an acute problem that summer of 2019. 

Ayanda spoke to Petier Broadsius, late in the summer, around February...

Ayanda stated simply," I have met many white men and a few white women, but I have never spoken to one so candidly as I do you. Can I consider you a friend?"

Petier demurred, " Of course I am your friend, Ayanda! I am also your brother! We of our faith know these things, preach these things, try to live these things."

Avanda rejoined," It has been difficult for the Boers to find peace in the land; I know your community feels the loss of some former privileges. Do you feel resentment towards the government? Do you believe that God and Jesus Christ are doing their will, if I may be so bold to ask?"

"Wow, those are some deep, heartfelt questions. We South Africans--especially I can speak for my Boer heritage: we are fully invested in the success of the land and our home country. We have known nothing else for at least 300 years."

"Yes, you surprise me, Brother Broadsius. Again, I have met my share of the white men, and I know my black brethren, and very few seem to be as optimistic or as accepting of the other races like you."

" I give credit to my family, but also to the faith. I served a mission clear over to Cape Town and that side of the country. I saw with my heart, mind, and eyes that there are incredibly small differences and greater commonalities among all God's children. I saw and understood it better than back home among us, my own people. God helped me understand the bigger picture. I got to know other Africans, from Nigeria and Ghana, and some Europeans and North Americans. We are all the same, brother. Even the English. We only have different parcels to care for. We must make the right decisions and be wise."

"Yes, yes, this is true Brother Petier! I hope we can continue our bright conversations as we try to fix the water problems! I thank you so much!"

"It is my pleasure, Brother Ayanda. We South Africans will help the eSwantini, all the tribes, as much as possible, and I know that your success will also make for the entire region's progress."

"Brother, prior to meeting and getting to know you, I doubted whether the men and women of this Church were really genuine in their words and deeds. I feel it from you, I sense it strongly, and you tell me of dozens if not hundreds who work in the same vain."

"Yes, it's all true. God is working among us, brother. Do not give up hope despite the current droughts and problems. God's people are finding their way."

"I love it, I love the Lord, my tribe, my homeland. But most of all I love the kinship in the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

"Amen, brother. Let us have a meal together next month at my ranch. Your family will see up close that we care and we are all the same. Or something close, anyway."

Ayanda effusively added," My family loves the books that you have loaned us; we look forward to sharing the bread with yours! Thanks so heavenly much." (This travel would require international border crossing, but both families felt it very worthwhile, like a trip to the temple in Johannesburg.)

"Not a problem, Ayanda. It is our pleasure and duty. Till next time. Brothers in the Lord, alway."

"Yes, till next time!"

Things were going to be all right.





No comments:

Post a Comment