Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Extra 15 Pounds

 The Extra 15 Pounds

We all have an extra fifteen pounds that we carry, or that we can lose. If we are right in the middle, or "perfect", then the next 15 pounds to lose would make us skinny. The extra 15, which I think of as normal, keeps us a bit round, or more shapely than many of us would prefer.

According to the U.S. Army standards of the 21st century (not sure about the last one, they didn't apply to me then), a person of my height and age (since maybe age 40 or so) should weigh between 144 and 208 pounds. When I hit my thirties, which was at the turn of the century,  I ranged around 205 to 220 pounds. I went through Basic Training in Fort Leonard Wood and came out at about 178 pounds, a few more with clothing on. And boots. I was skinny. I was below a normal weight for me. Even as a young missionary and college student I was around 185-190 pounds.

Once I made it back to the normal world of eating meals beyond a mere three minute span, I put on the weight that was normal to me, and I would hover from 200 to 210 pounds. But then a few short years later I hit my forties, and it was normal to be between 210 to 220, even 223 or more... and those last 15 pounds of Army weight have lead to a few stories.

I could recount a few, like how I bet a Sergeant in 2014 that I would make weight and lose 14 or so pounds by next drill, and if I won he would give up smoking and qualify to attend the temple with his family, and every time I came close to the snack drawers my children would scold me and shame me, and say,"Dad! The Sergeant!" I did make it that time.

Other times it has hindered me, like when I was failed from a Sergeant course and sent home early for not making weight in 2018 in South Carolina, near Fort Jackson. I originally weighed in at 221, thinking that I could tape and be measured at 213 or so a week later and pass, after eating right and losing 8 pounds in 8 days. Nope. I needed to be 208 or less, because I learned the hard way that I cannot pass tape, even, probably, under 208. Based on my proportions.
 
I had passed tape multiple times at that weight in Virginia.

Last year I ran outside for a while, sweating, at the armory, to lose my last pound to make it on the scales, with multiple witnesses and everything. Standing in just Army shorts and no underwear. 208. Qualified.

So, where are we in relation to the 15? Above, as some suggest the Thanksgiving holiday will do? At weight, perfect, or slightly below? I am above, even days and weeks before Thanksgiving.
 
Pictures tell the tale. The face is fuller, the stomach protrudes, there is just more of me in the photos, and the images are not flattering. 
 
210 looks pretty good, normally. Not so much at 220.
 
The extra 10 or 15 or 20 pounds has influence on quite a few things. My dad, who is a healthy 83 years old, says it will affect the long term life span if I carry too much extra weight. Perhaps in can increase diabetes levels, as he has type 2, even though he has been a slender non-obese guy all his life.
 
The extra 15 affects running, jumping (basketball), squeezing into pants, even fitting into some shirts. And, all of it works on the self esteem, self image, and that poundage over 208 certainly affects Army standards.

It has been a factor in my life for over a decade, even going back 16 years when discussing military standards years before I wound up joining.

So: can I drop the snacks and go to bed a little bit hungrier to achieve the magic 208?

That is what it boils down to. Weekly aerobic exercises, eating healthy, drinking liquids, and falling asleep with a little appetite?

Sounds easy.

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the food and beverages.




No comments:

Post a Comment