Sunday, January 26, 2020

Kobe!

The Black Mamba stuck daggers into my basketball fan heart numerous times. For years.

What a wonder.

Just this Sunday afternoon my daughter came up from the basement and announced that the great Kobe Bryant had died.

How?! A helicopter crash.

Where?! I don't know... California. Calabasas.

Ahhh... the men and women on TV remark on his presence and legacy.

I tell my wife and children about a few things: his Afro. His Italian, very fluent, his 80 some points in one game. He played with the one NBA player I have ever known, Mark Madsen...

I saw him come and go... I was done with my first Bachelors when he came into the league as teenager. He had an Afro hairstyle when that was not popular.

He crushed my Pacers the only year that they ever made the Finals.

My Pacers, incidentally, had two southern California players, Reggie Miller and Austin Croshere. I lived in California all those great years with Shaq, from 1999 to 2005.

I cannot recall if I saw the game live or just heard and read about the historic game to 81 points. I looked at the box score, and saw many others on his team had attempted shots and scored. I watched the game in syndication. Kobe took good shots, and even got off to a little slow start!

So much more I could say.

The trial in Colorado, scaring away O'Neill, being a jerk to many, but always a winner.

Wow, what a life.

I knew another 41 year-old die tragically and suddenly just over a year ago. Less fanfare, less "impact" to the public, many would say.

Ahhh, to lose these young fathers.

We pray that heaven and earth may receive their glories, and we accept the humble lessons of knowing them.




1 comment: