Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Going State to State

Going State to State

I have been to 49 of the U.S. fifty states; I have some type of impression of each one, in person. Minus Alaska. Some day I will make it there. At age 49 I have at least one or more visual impressions from each state. Memories, images, feelings, impressions. Logged in the brain.

For now (beginning of 2020) I recall two of the states that I saw more than I had before last visiting them briefly in previous times: Alabama and New Hampshire.

I did not see much more of New Hampshire in 2017 when we returned south via Maine from the Maritimes of Canada. We stopped for gas; I found a mechanic's shop that was not friendly towards restroom visitors like us. I saw mostly freeway and traffic, and maybe a little city scape. Not much to add to the visuals of my mind's eye.

Alabama I watched mostly through the driver's seat of our Ford Transit from the length of north to south. I was surprised that as we approached the southern part there were still rolling hills.  I saw some cities, like Birmingham, and we gassed up near the end as darkness approached for the day. The last hour or so was in darkness; I saw the Christmas lights occasionally placed on yards or homes that were part of very mild winter seasons. Roads and visages that I had never seen before, for sure.

Corners of our country and our earth that I had never seen. There is a lot out there.

I probably have the most images in my memories from Indiana, by sheer numbers. However, many of those places are repeated often.

I have lived significant times in Utah, California, Virginia. I have memories and impressions, some vivid, from every other states, minus Alaska. It's nice to try and trace in my mind. Roads, rivers, cities, parks, farms, meadows, mountains, beaches...

But why stop there? Why not all the provinces of Canada? 10 and 3, with territories. Why not all the states of Mexico? 31 or so Brazil?  26. Argentina? India? China? Australia?

We have limited time to visit all these places, yet they await.

What is your next state to visit?


No comments:

Post a Comment