Sunday, December 1, 2019

Regular Seasons End and Field Goals

Regular Seasons End, and Field Goals

If you have ever liked a college football program, you may share some of the feelings and thoughts that I am experiencing, or at least contemplating now. The day after the regular season has ended. Another year in the bag, time marches on. What does any of it mean? I don't know those deeper answers... I can analyze some of the superficial things, and this causes me some satisfaction.

The regular season has ended, mostly by the end of November, and either a bowl awaits next month or so, or not.

We reflect on the good and the bad.

Both my cherished teams have qualified for a bowl. Hurrah! 2019 finished better than normal.

In Indiana's case, it is their 12th bowl ever. I am 49 years old. They once went to the Rose Bowl (and lost) before I was born, the first year that my p. That makes 11 in my lifetime, where the Hoosiers are 3-7 so far.

Can Indiana get a 4th ever bowl win? We shall see around Christmas.

BYU, the vaunted school of Church affiliated fame, has qualified for a second year in a row, about 40 over all as far as bowls in its existence.

Things have generally been bowl-worthy since the late 1970s.

Brigham Young football is expected to go to a bowl every year. BYU is an expected winner. 2017 was an anomaly, and awful (4-9, worst results since the 1950s). Last year got better; this year better still, slightly, but we are questioning things with a lopsided 7-5 finish, and a stinker to San Diego St. last night.

Hopefully a Hawai'i Bowl can cure those ills.

Indiana has 8 wins, after squeaking by a weaker Purdue, in double overtimes, and may face a big or traditionally tough opponent. Beating Purdue, even after so many mistakes self-committed and the Boilers having a weakened team, feels really good.

I saw BYU play in person last week and it was really fun. UMass stood no chance, unlike when they upset the Cougars two years ago in Provo.

Both m schools missed multiple makeable field goals. IU lost 9 potential points and BYU 6. BYU also turned it over poorly, while Indiana took advantage of those turnovers.

Both schools are mid-ling powers, but I will take it.

My Hoosiers and Cougars will play in the post season.

No complaints. Happy holidays,


No comments:

Post a Comment