Thursday, February 15, 2018

We Seek Each Other

We Seek Each Other

  A Valentine's Poem

For years I sought someone

Wars came and went

Stocks rose and plunged

Jobs were here and there

Books and periodicals informed

-- And I looked, and I saw, and my heart was pulled but my eyes did not rest.

Technology advanced

Computers were shared

An Internet flourished

There were more ways to meet the people we sought

I continued to seek after a suitable person

To share my life and dreams

I  moved from here to there

I tried to stay social, to stay clean, to be alert,

to be active, so that I would not miss who I sought

--in my thoughts, my prayers


Meanwhile,  she was also about, to and fro

She moved and met and looked and even smelled, yes, sniffed for that one...


It took some time, a drive across the deserts for me, trekking across country for her:

Cities, suburbs, camp outs, rivers, lakes, seas and mountains, cabins and dance halls


One night we saw each other

I spoke to my mother twenty-four hundred miles away, soon after

I told her I met someone, albeit briefly

But we met again, and again, and again

We sought each other


Now eighteen years later, we still do

Sometimes she seeks me, or I her

But we still, always seek each other out

"How are you?" 

"Not bad. You?"

She is who I sought since youth

Since then, since I can remember

She is the someone whom I seek

in my dreams

And lucky me-- I find her!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment