Monday, April 29, 2024

I was shocked, nonplussed, chagrined, disgusted, well-- heavy words for this, but the price of the Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich had me not so amused

 I was shocked, nonplussed, chagrined, disgusted, well-- heavy words for this, but the price of the Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich had me not so amused

    I was out about town, so-to-speak, getting some gas, which looked cheaper (3.52 or so per gallon) than many places I had seen it. I went inside the gas mart, either Wawa or Sheetz, or like a 7-11, maybe, and looked at newspapers. I think I was jones'n for some ice cream.

    Yeah. Ice cream. It was about 90 today, in April. No complaints. But here comes this one:

    3.83 for a measly Oreo sandwich?!!! 

    Almost four dollars for this paltry amount of ounces and calories? Not even as good and luscious as a Big Ed ice cream sandwich, which packs more punch and flavor...

    Almost four bucks. I remember as a kid we would buy a half gallon of Breyer's ice cream for two or so bucks. A half-gallon. We could find, I learned later in college on my own dime, a whole gallon of cheaper ice cream for a dollar. Plain white vanilla, or chocolate, or even mint chip, or sherbert of all varieties, for one buck. And maybe some state tax, round it up to seven cents. A whole flippin' gallon. Gallons are meant to flipped, right?

    Today, in late April 2024, this hand held chunk of little barely cold creme was 3.83. Or was it 4.83? No! It cannot be. Not almost a complete Abe Lincoln bill for an Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich!!

    That will be the day. 2030? Sooner?

    $ 3.83 is too much for this now, I can tell you that simply and forcefully.

    Where has the market gone? Are ice cream makers this rich now?

    I don't know. I was testing the product blind, thinking maybe in the high twos...

    I will not be robbed senseless like this again. At least not this year.

    A four-dollar Oreo sandwich...

There are worse things going on in the world right now, including hunger and other violence and awfulness. But I had my brush with terrible tonight.

    Not again, little gas mart. Not again. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment